Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99k - trouble with bobbin winder >

99k - trouble with bobbin winder

99k - trouble with bobbin winder

Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Default 99k - trouble with bobbin winder

I think I know now why this machine ended up at Goodwill! I can't get it to wind a bobbin properly, even though everything moves as I think it should. First - it looks like the bobbin tire is not set properly - it sits right where the belt meets the hub, and I don't know which it is supposed to press against.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511575[/ATTACH]

So, the contact isn't good. The tire will spin, then stop, then spin again, making for a completely useless bobbin. I'm using the cheap 66 bobbins from JoAnns, but I don't think that is the problem here.

The manual says to loosen a certain screw, press the bobbin tire closer, then tighten the screw. This doesn't do any good. So, should the whole tire be over farther in one direction or another? And how doe one move it? Should there be a washer in the mechanism to move the tire over by the hub.

Also, this is a Simanco bobbin tire. It looks ok to me, but this is the only machine I have with a bobbin tire, so don't know what it's supposed to look like. It's a bit soft and mushy.

Guess I'll go try the rubber band method while waiting for your always helpful replies!
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-winder-99k.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM

I looked all over but couldn't figure out how to edit my first post, so here is an addition:

Look at this picture [ATTACH=CONFIG]511578[/ATTACH]See the gouge on the inside of the handwheel? It's about 1/8" long and fairly shallow, but it could be causing some problems. What do you think? Should I try to get a replacement handwheel? I'm thinking $80 was too much for this machine!
Attached Thumbnails 99k-inside-handwheel.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 01:29 PM

Margaret,

The bobbin tire could be hard and slick and or have a flat spot. It might also have shrunk a bit. The Simanco marked parts are quite old and the rubber can become hard and deteriorate when they get old. At that point they tend to slip and slid on the hand wheel.

Get some alcohol, I use denatured, and clean the tire and hand wheel to get all the oils off the surface. Then use a magnifying glass to verify there's no flat spots on the tire.
Personally I'd put a new tire on it anyway.

Several of my machines have the bobbin winding tire contacting the hand wheel at the same point as yours. I suspect the tire.

If your talking about the little pit in the bore of the hand wheel that's a non issue. I blew up and lightened your pic to see it better and I can't seen anything wrong with the hand wheel.

Joe
Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 PM

Thanks, Joe! I was worried about the pit in the hand wheel. I will order a new bobbin tire and some vintage bobbins, I think; also a light bulb as mine is burned out. Still hoping to make this a usable machine!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 PM

I don't know what shopping resources you have in the Tri-Cities, but I'd check Walmart or a fabric store first for a replacement tire. My husband picked up some of the bayonet and screw-in 15w bulbs at an Ace Hardware store. A friend told me that the $4.59 bulb she was going to order online would have cost $8 in shipping and handling.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Thanks, elnan! I went through Sew Classic which only charged me $2.00 for shipping. Easier than driving over to Kennewick to the JoAnn store! They didn't have my light bulb, though. Will have to find out what I need and maybe I can get it at our Ace Hardware.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM

I bought replacement tires at Joann's. The Singer 66 fits the 99k. It comes in a package with the wheel one. I changed both when I got my machines. I would buy vintage bobbins, as the cheap ones do not work well, and will give you more aggravation than not.. You will enjoy your machine. She is worth keeping.. I alternate between the 99k, and the 66. I love them both.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Thanks, elnan! I went through Sew Classic which only charged me $2.00 for shipping. Easier than driving over to Kennewick to the JoAnn store! They didn't have my light bulb, though. Will have to find out what I need and maybe I can get it at our Ace Hardware.
The 99K's take a standard 5/8", screw in base, 15W bulb. If your machine has the fish eye light housing it originally had a round bulb in it. Those are not available any more but the regular bulbs will fit.
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bulb...att-2SCW-F.htm }
If you go to a hardware store make sure the bulb is no bigger than 15W or this is what will happen:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511655[/ATTACH]

I've yet to find a correct sewing machine type bulb at a hdwr store. I've found others that would work, but they are all weird shaped bulbs.

The tires sold at JoAnn fabrics are in a set with a stretchy rubber band belt sold by Dritz. The tires are smaller than the correct Singer size and might give trouble on some machines.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails damaged-housing.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 05:45 AM

Don't use denatured alcohol on the handwheel! You don't want alcohol anywhere near the black paint!

You can use it to clean the rubber tire, but again don't get it on the paint. It looks to me like the handwheel might not be fully seated? Did you take it off? Be sure it is back on all the way..maybe that is why the bobbin winder is not rubbing the wheel.

I would get a new tire for it. They're very inexpensive.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Some vacuum cleaners also take the same 15w screw in light bulb. I recently bought one at the supermarket. Last place that I would of thought to look.