Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is difference between quilt and playmat? >

What is difference between quilt and playmat?

What is difference between quilt and playmat?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 AM

Default What is difference between quilt and playmat?

I have been asked to make a quilted playmat. What is the difference between the two? I guess I am old. A playmat for my kids was taking a blanket and putting it on the floor!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

It depends on it's purpose but a quilt can be a playmat too. I have seen playmats that are about a 4 foot circle with a gusset with a string around the edge for Legos. They play on it and then the string is pull tight to form a purse for the Legos. There are baby play mats done like a quilt with interesting fabrics and textures. I would have to ask the mother what her idea of a play mat is.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 AM

Definitely ask mom what she has in mind.........in my opinion sometimes store bought is more practical and reasonable that handmade...... When GBs were here I bought a playmat........
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Geri. Store bought items would be more practical especially with the cost of fabrics.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Might be something that is heavier - that would be less apt to bunch up?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 AM

I think too that sometimes "play mats" have safe stuffy things attached - or at least different textures - for the baby to explore and play with.
If this is a good friend, and you'd like the challenge, i think it could be a fun project --- making something that's a quilt plus a little more. But definitely, i'd find out what the person has in her mind before i said yes.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 AM

The patterns that I have for playmats (and they specifically have 'playmat' as part of the name) are really just quilts with something of interest on the top...pockets, tabs, pictures, things to entertain the child. One has fasteners for the child to learn...zippers, buttons, laces, snaps, velcro, things like that. They aren't made any differently than standard quilts, except for one that has home dec weight cotton for the background fabric on top. The emphasis is on 'play'. Could be a quilt of streets for a little boy to use his trucks on, that kind of thing (didn't mean to be so stereotyping with that idea, sorry).

A lot depends on the age of the child, his/her interests, and what the mother has in mind, so I'd definitely ask for at least her general ideas.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

My daughters use heavy quilts, Warm and Natural batting, as playmats for their babies. They keep it folded up right next to the toy box in the living room.

If it is a boy could the mom want a playmat with train tracks or a road on it? Like some one else mentioned there are also circular quilted playmats you can pull a string to clean it up. I think an I Spy quilt 40x40 or larger made with heavy batting would make a great playmat. I would be hesitant to add loops etc. because of safety. Maybe little lift up windows sewn over some of the pictures?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

This is what showed up when I googled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=home..._AUoAg&dpr=1.1
Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 AM

As mentioned, I would ask what the mom has in mind. Storebought may be a better choice. You can easily make a playmat that has 'streets' for car playing, but the storebought ones hold up better to little knees dragging across fabric.