Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Babylock Destiny, Unity or Spirit" >

"Babylock Destiny, Unity or Spirit"

"Babylock Destiny, Unity or Spirit"

Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 AM

Default "Babylock Destiny, Unity or Spirit"

I am having trouble deciding which one of these to purchase. If you have one of these, what do you like and/or dislike about it? Would you purchase it again? The Destiny is so big, but the features are incredible. I have a Crescendo and would be trading it in..........Thank you for any comments you can share.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:57 AM

I was looking at purchasing an Aria or Crescendo...just out of curiosity why are you trading in the Crescendo? What didn't you like about it?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Have you test drove these machine?? If it is too big, then take if off your list. Price has also a major issue with choosing a model. You want a DSM that fills your needs, not wants. But a new DSM is like buying a car. Half the fun is doing the shopping !!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM

I am looking for an embroidery machine to replace the little Brother PE770 that I have. I have test driven the Destiny and the Unity/Journey are the same as the Crescendo but have embroidering capabilities that my Crescendo does not. Unity has a few more features than the Journey and costs a lot more. I can't decide whether to buy a "combo" machine or an Embroidery Only machine (the Spirit). The local dealer did not have a Spirit in stock, so I am unable to test drive it. The Crescendo has been discontinued and replaced with the Aria. I never used the Sensor Pen and I'm not fond of the big Dual Feed walking foot. The large throat was really what I wanted when I purchased it. I have since grown quite addicted to embroidering and the 5x7 hoop is pretty limiting on the Brother machine.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 PM

My daughter has the Spirit and loves it. She is strictly an embroiderer...I haven't convinced her yet to try quilting/sewing. :-)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I'm looking at a journey. I really would like to have the brother quatro2 tho. I have a brother 2800d that I LOVE but it has over 12 million stitches on it! I also have a Bernina artista 640 that I am going to put on ebay soon.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 PM

There is a HUGE difference between the Destiny (at $14,000) and the Unity or another machine! Try the machine. Sew & embroider. Compare the products. If the Destiny is in your budget, for sure it is THE BEST machine on the market. If the price is too high, then consider the others but you will be sacrificing a LOT MORE than bells & whistles. There is a huge drop off as you go down
Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Flyfish. The crescendo was not discontinued for the aria. I don't know who your local baby lock dealer is, but please go see another dealer. There are huge differences between the models which you must experience for yourself with a test drive. I think you've been mislead. See on the machines. They are not comparable at all
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Honestly if it were me I would just keep the crescendo and get an ellisimo because to me you will not get the value of your crescendo and the destiny/ dream machine are way overpriced IMHO I was wanted to see what I would get as I have the brother version of the unity and it would still cost me close to 10k. you can get a quattro/ellisimo now for around 5k and keep you machine. All you would be gaining to me is the extra hoop size and the scanning feature If you find that is worth an extra 5-6k go for it but I just don't see it being worth that much when you can get digitzing software for way less. I do love my dreamweaver combo(unity on the babylock side) and am currently waiting for them to upgrade to the 8inch hoop, once they do that honestly I will have no interest in the quattro anymore as much as I like the camera feature unless you are doing embroidery daily it really isn't necessary and I find positioning super easy with my dreamweaver so if you really wanted to save dollars to invest in software and other embroidery supplies, designs I would probably go the unity or spirit if you want to embroider but still be able to sew that is if you don't already have more than one machine. I don't ever sew on my other machine while I embroider but many do. It really boils down to whether you want to spend that kind of money if it is in your budget go for it but also consider the extras you still have to buy, extra hoops, stabilizer, thread, editing software(much better than onboard editing IMHO), designs many don't realize how much extras are involved when buying an embroidery machine. I have used my 5x7 and 4x4 hoop the most I think I have used my 7x12 once. I also love the 6x6 hoop alot
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by franklindixie View Post
Flyfish. The crescendo was not discontinued for the aria. I don't know who your local baby lock dealer is, but please go see another dealer. There are huge differences between the models which you must experience for yourself with a test drive. I think you've been mislead. See on the machines. They are not comparable at all
They are comparable the aria is just a step down without laser/penpal but has all the other features of the crescendo. Its just more affordable for someone with a lower budget. The differences really are not that huge. The symphony is the model being discontinued for the v-series machines