Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts? >

Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Do any of you buy clothes or sheets at the thrift store to use in quilts?

I did on my last quilt. It would have been far too expensive if I didn't.

I used three cream colored bedsheets in my last quilt. I only paid a few dollars

I bought a dust ruffle and a crib sized duvet cover thing to add to pink fabrics for my daughter's quilt that I'm planning.

I struck out on black bedsheets though. Maybe they'll turn up after I get caught up on chores. I got a little behind schedule trying to finish a bed set...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

All the time. I am currently working on a baby quilt for my grandson, the basis of which is a large size, unworn, batik shirt. It has elephants on it, the rest (yellow and white) is from my stash. The only thing I purchased new was batting. Most of my quilts/waggas are made from 'found' fabrics, offcuts or items of clothing (clothes which are too 'out there' or damaged to donate to charity). I even found a use for 'high visibility yellow' from my husband's old work shirts.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:45 PM

I buy both white, ivory and black sheets for quilt backs at the thrift store whenever I can find them. They are soft and work great!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 PM

I saw some really wild fabrics in the mens shirts today. If I wasn't already working on a couple of small projects or planning the next quilt I would have bought them
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 PM

I have mainly done mine from yard sales - same concept. Lol!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:59 AM

I have used shirts and sheets for backings. Even have used a heavy flannel sheet and a mattress pad to use for a light batting. Gotta save somewhere!!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

Yes - suitable fabric is good fabric!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 AM

I do a lot with sheets and various repurposed fabrics. I love to use a flannel sheet as the backing on a quilt, it's so cozy.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:34 AM

Yes, I bought a few pairs of old jeans and made my DGD's tote bags to take to school. They came out great and very sturdy.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 AM

Yep I sure do. I put a stitch in anything that will take one! Some people seem to forget that quilt fabric manufactures tell you should only use designer quilt fabric because... it's what they sell. It's called marketing strategy. Some say they've had trouble quilting sheets. That just tells me that they haven't done enough research to see what needle and thread would work best for a higher count fabric. Someone put a seam in that sheet before selling it so you should be able to sew it too! However I will say that I try to stay around 300 thread count or less. My LQS sold extra wide designer backing fabric that was 300 count. So why do most designer fabric manufactures say that their 80-90 count is the best? I think some quilters just want to say what they paid for the fabric or that it's designer. And what about the gorgeous silk quilts you see at the quilt shows? Are they 80-90 count and made by one of the major quilt fabric manufacturers? I don't think so. But that's ok, the more quilters that don't buy sheets or clothing from Thrift shops the better, it leaves more for me! Now I'm not saying I don't buy designer fabric because there's one designer that just rocks my quilty world. However due to her outrageous prices I buy very little. I usually buy a bundle and mix in my thrift fabrics to make as many quilts as I can with one bundle.