Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Using rulers to machine quilt on domestic machine >

Using rulers to machine quilt on domestic machine

Using rulers to machine quilt on domestic machine

Old 04-06-2015, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Default Using rulers to machine quilt on domestic machine

I found this new product. I haven't ordered it yet but it looks amazing.

http://www.sewsteady.com/collections...alid-thru-6-31
Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 AM

I've been looking at these too. That link directed me to a LQS/ dealer that I've gone to before. I love knowing I can get this locally! I quilt all of my own quilts on my Janome 1600p & this would really kick it up a notch.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Interesting using techniques for LAQ and being adapted for the DSM. Is that price a wholesale price?? Double it if it is plus added shipping cost. Wonder what DSM it fits on. Low shank or high shank?? I have always marked my feather and find following a line would be simpler at least for me.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I think there is enough interest that all machine manufacturers should make a ruler foot for their machines. I know I would buy one for my Bernina if it was available.

Update, I just Googled and Amy over at www.feemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com said there is supposed to be a ruler foot coming out in April for the longarm but it is also supposed to fit a regular machine. I hope I can order one from my dealer.

Last edited by Tartan; 04-06-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

The video had lots of info about this foot. A nearby dealer has it so I will go check it out soon. I called and was told this package deal will probably not be repeated. I forgot to ask the price being sold at the store.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:27 PM

http://westalee.com.au

This is the manufacturer of the feet. It looks like they have both high & low shank feet made for DSM's as well as templates to work with the thickness of the feet. Rulers made for long arms are too thick to use with these feet. I watched several YouTube videos put out by the company including one for the foot for my machine. It looks like something I'd be interested in. I am anxious to contact the store that carries them in my area to check them out.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 AM

I have doing a lot of research on the rulers. Prices vary according to ruler being ordered. I have a Janome 7700 that has a convertible free motion foot. I just ordered the feet that you can use to do the ruler work. I also ordered several fine line rulers. Can't wait to try this out. Patsy Thompson has a video on You Tube that explains what machine she has tested that the ruler foot will work on.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 AM

Patsy Thompson has a terrific video on a set of feet from Janime that will fit several machines - Baby Lock, Viking, Bernina and Pfaff if I remember correctly. And she shows how these attachments fit on each machine. The video is terrific - I just stumbled across it and can't exactly remember the address but try googling Patsy Thompson.

I heard all all about being able to do long arm-type quilting on a domestic machine using these foot and special rulers. Our regular rulers won't work as they are too thin. The foot is a hopping foot and needs the 1/4" rulers that long adders use - and boy are they pricey!!! I found Amy at the AQS Lancaster show but she didn't have the rulers available at that time. I did purchase the Janome feet at the show - luckily with a 20% off show special - and the feet aren't cheap either. But I'm hoping that this whole set-up will help me gain some confidence and ability to be able to decently quilt my own work - for myself and for my quilt guilds as charity quilts. The whole machine quilting thing gives me the willies and I tend to do all the wrong things because, perhaps, I'm trying too hard???

I'll be going up to Quilt Odyssey in Hershey this summer and I'm hoping that I will find more info, rulers, etc. since this is a really new idea on the quilting market. People are always asking me what I've seen new at the big quilt shows and for the last bunch of years there really hasn't been anything I would call "new". But this domestic/long arm cross-over, in my opinion, will revolutionize home quilting, like the rotary cutter did more than 30 years ago.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM

There is one for the Bernina, my friend bought one for hers.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think there is enough interest that all machine manufacturers should make a ruler foot for their machines. I know I would buy one for my Bernina if it was available.

Update, I just Googled and Amy over at www.feemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com said there is supposed to be a ruler foot coming out in April for the longarm but it is also supposed to fit a regular machine. I hope I can order one from my dealer.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 PM

Ordered the foot and a ruler for my Janome 8900 from the local shop. It had to be ordered then 2 days later had a heart attack and heart surgery. I can't drive for another 3 weeks to pick it up. I will let you know how it works when I get it.