Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!  DH wants a LA >

HELP!! DH wants a LA

HELP!! DH wants a LA

Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Very neat DH! Go for it--but do try out all the ones you can at a big show, take a class or two to see if you really want to do this (different skill set from piecing and even from quilting on DSM). Most big shows also have some LA classes--just make sure you are taking a hands-on class for beginner. Do lots of research via internet and then make a list of features you must have/want/can live without. My used Gammill is 14' table (if I'd been buying new I'd have gotten a 12'), has a 30" throat--but I could have done just fine with little smaller. One thing you may keep in mind, if you purchase used from an individual, you might get pantos,rulers, etc--which was my case and meant I got about $500 worth of accessories thrown in. If I had been able to include some things I really would have liked, it would be hydraulic lifts on the table to allow easy up/down. The new Gammills have the back handles offset so pantos don't result in achy neck/shoulders--that would be nice. And several machines have a lock stitch now too.
Have fun! And include your husband in the search--you want him to be able to help with the routine maintenance that comes with a LA!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I also would love one but will not make that purchase until I can try several before buying since it is such a big investment...
Old 04-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Love my Gammill!:-)
Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM

You're in Spring, Texas. There is a quilt machine shop there that has classes with several kinds of machines already set up and ready to go (for the classes they teach). Classes are free if you buy machine from them, but even if you're just looking for now, you could ask for a little tour with pros and cons of the different machines.
www.TexasQuiltMachines.com or www.QuiltFrog.com..Owners are Tom and Carrie Duggan.