Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does my Janome not like some thread? >

Does my Janome not like some thread?

Does my Janome not like some thread?

Old 05-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Does my Janome not like some thread?

I have a Janome 6600 and I love it. But I am having a problem and I am not sure what is causing it. I thread my machine and sew... everything goes well. Then all of the sudden the thread comes out of the lift arm.... step 6 in the threading process. When that happens the machine chokes. I rethread and then I can sew again just fine.. until it happens again.

Does anyone know what causes the thread to come out of that lift arm? Is it simply that particular thread?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM

You might join a janome yahoo group. I know I have seen posts somewhere about that exact thing and the janome user groups should be able to tell you the problem whereas not everyone here will have a janome.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:10 PM

I have had this happen a few times with my Janome MC 6600P. It happened when I was sewing at top speed and more than 2 layers. I use a variety of thread and it started after I started using the #60 weight in the bobbin, before that I always used the #50 weight. I have a lot more control going a bit slower and the problem has stopped.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 PM

I have tried to join one Janome group, but I couldn't... can't remember now if it was me or them It has mostly been with this one spool of thread, but I would like to use it up. Maybe I will watch the weight of thread a little closer
Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 PM

I had that happen on my Janome 760. The dealer told me to squeeze the lift arm with pliars (carefully)....to squeeze it together where the thread comes out..... wish I could explain better. They just left the slot too big......
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 PM

What thread and what needle are you using? I use Topstitch 90/14 needle with Essential Threads
(which is a thicker thread). If you use the right needle for your thread you shouldn't have that problem.
Also, make sure the bobbin case is clean. Might just need a new needle.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:43 AM

Make sure that the thread is seated in the tension discs. Hold the spoll, pull the thread until you can feel it seat. That should take care of the problem. I have 3 Janomes (not including my serger)

Sandy
Old 05-02-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Is the thread black or some other very dark color? Dark color threads can sometimes be very stiff from all the dye that's used. This causes it to not behave well. I have one large spool of black, from a good manufacturer that will only work in one machine. That one has a hole in the take up lever that keeps it in place, otherwise it just jumps out of the lever.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:22 AM

It is not the thread. It just happens on the 6600.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:35 AM

well this is a spool of lilac thread - lighter color. I really don't remember having this problem with other threads.. or if it did happen the happenings were few and far between.. I don't know what weight this thread is. I bought it at WalMart before I bought my machine - probably 3 years ago.. all I know is that its "All Purpose" from Coats and Clark. It should almost be gone now... just won't use any of that again. I am now buying Superior brand thread

nabobw - you have a Janome 6600 and have the same experience?

Sandygirl - that's good point -not sure if I am doing that. I do remember when I bought the machine and the dealer was showing it to me she did say to listen for that sound

Last edited by meyert; 05-02-2015 at 05:38 AM.