Singer treadle I may get

Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 PM

Default Singer treadle I may get

I'm just now starting my research (HERE LOL!) I have one singer treadle that's hopefully going to be unloaded with the stuff it and the New Home have been holding for a few years I'm clearing space (re-arranging my townhome) so pretty sure I have room for a few more cabinets/treadles though I don't want to overdo it then have to find homes you know?! I know zilch at this point about this particular treadle - a newfound friend discovered I love the old machines and said she had just had one hauled to her garage- her husband insisted they take it (think it was his grandmother's) and fix it up to sell for $500 - well I told her something had to be pretty special (and very appealing to me ) because I didn't want a $500 machine and she said no no no so I don't know how much she wants for it or if she just wants me to take it yet but thought I'd find out a little bit about it and y'all are the experts (about to search online too!) from what I remember of my other singer treadle this one isn't the same decals - they're kinda pretty on this one- look a bit rubbed but I like the design.

lemme see if the pics will load...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520055[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520056[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520057[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520059[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0948.jpg   img_0954.jpg   img_0950.jpg   img_0952.jpg   img_0953.jpg  

Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 PM

looking at some decals and think it's a sphinx? looks close to that one but hard to tell flipping back and forth - sure wish I'd come across one with the pretty flowers LOL!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM

oops didn't mention her husband passed away- she has a neat Pfaff but wont' part with it because she sews on it - she just has no interest in sewing on the treadle...wish she'd part with the Pfaff but she said no way and if she did her friend would be first in line (the friend was there with us!) and she said yes she'd claimed that machine over 3 yrs ago LOL!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 AM

I wouldn't pay more than about $150 for that machine, and that's only because of the seven drawer cabinet (which are quite desirable). The machine is quite a common Singer model 27 and the Sphinx decals are quite shabby. Model 27s are vibrating shuttle machines, and although they make quite a good stitch (and will stitch through just about anything) you could get a model 15 in the same cabinet and with the same decals for about the same price. With a 15, you'd be much better off for quilting, embroidering and obtaining spares parts (model 15 bobbins are the most common type available in the world) and they will also stitch through just about anything.
If it were me, I'd offer $100 for the cabinet and put a 15-91 or 201 in it (get one of each, the heads usually go for almost nothing). They are machines you would be truly happy to treadle.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for her but the machine head is only worth about $20 (at least here).
Old 05-19-2015, 04:16 AM

Jumping in here with a note; I have a treadle Singer 27, circa 1900. The decals are slighter better than the one pictured and it works fine. I paid $75 for mine.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 PM

thanks Mike and JLM! I got to thinking about it and still haven't decided if it's worth it to me - I did like the idea of the cabinet though she said she thought the cabinet needed some work -said the top was scruffy or something. she's worried about it being in the garage - don't think it's been there long - but I dont have unlimited space though will have some space cleared upin a couple of days if all goes well. I'm wanting beauty and functionality especially if something takes up space like this sucker would. I already have a redeye that I think was originally a treadle - has the big wheel I think and 2 other treadles- one bought because I liked the looks and the other because I had too much trouble working the pretty treadle- that's before I ended up inheriting my mom's furniture and she loaded me with a few more desks and lots of machines in cabinets- gotta decide about a 401 she got for me- it has a huge desk with it - not my favorite but it's good sewing space- just haven't been able to get past the furniture and boxes stored in front of it to see if it's something I want to keep and use- it's in front of one of my 2 windows (townhome) so I'm wanting something I want to use in front of those so I can look out as I quilt. I'm thinking if the machine will lower in that big desk that it will be worth keeping and using - love the space it has to the left and the drawers- but otherwise havent' been able to get a good look at the overall appearance of it as that area is storage right now LOL!
I sure wish the cute little pfaff treadle with the faded decals I saw were cheaper - it's at an antique sewing machine shop about 30-40min away - but can't justfiy $250 for it when the decals are pretty but faded and the machine hasn't been spruced up and doesn't have anything with it and she says it's not one of the user friendly mechanisms (I still have anxiety thinking about that new home I bought!)

JLM that's awesome you have a nice sewer for $75! I wish I'd had time when I got the treadles I have to get used to using them- but the belt came off the singer and I was too incompetent/nervous to figure out how it went back on..should have called the lady I bought it from since she was an expert (she had tons but heard she sold all her beautiful heavy machines and went to featherweights because of knee problems and not wanting things she couldn't lift or keep serviced...) but time went on and they eventually became pretty tables then sorta pushed aside though still inside at least! can't wait to get things all fixed up!! and using my treadles and vintage machines :-)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
thanks Mike and JLM! I got to thinking about it and still haven't decided if it's worth it to me - I did like the idea of the cabinet though she said she thought the cabinet needed some work -said the top was scruffy or something.
You're welcome :-)
The tops of those cabinets nearly all have splits in the veneer. You can cheaply (around $30 in Aus so probably much less in the U.S.) obtain replacement veneer. The stuff I last used was American Oak and is iron-on: Very easy to apply. The difficult part is getting the old veneer off. You have to replace all of it, as it gets darker with age and you won't be able to match the shade. Finally, it would have to be French polished (hard work).
You can see why the gentleman himself didn't get around to it.

The alternative is to buy it and be happy with the way it is. I certainly don't mind a few splits in the veneer, but apply some boiled linseed oil and it might make it a bit better (it will 'moisturise' the wood). The cabinet will fit your 66 (redeye) or just about any other full size Singer from the 20th century. The seven drawer cabinets are wonderful for all that storage space (I'd find it hard to fill) and retain their value really well. Oil the cast iron legs (lubricate and clean) and she'll look a million bucks
Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 PM

I hate to be picky but I think the high mounted bobbin winder makes that a 127. I have a 1900 27 spinx myself and I love it, mine was free though my decals are about like yours the cabinet was toast. I would love to know where you are finding 201's Cheap Mike they are going for around 100 bucks any time I find one ( and then I have to ship it !)
I will agree that the Shuttle machine are not quite as friendly to get to know they are really no problem to use once you get used to them. I quite enjoy them in fact. if it is a friend and you want it and are ok with the price that is up to you... no it is not a screaming deal, but if you are not in the biz of flipping them there are other considerations than just the price. as was mentioned though that cabinet will hold a lot of other singers... and once you have one... they seem to multiply .....
Old 05-20-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I hate to be picky but I think the high mounted bobbin winder makes that a 127. I have a 1900 27 spinx myself and I love it, mine was free though my decals are about like yours the cabinet was toast. I would love to know where you are finding 201's Cheap Mike they are going for around 100 bucks any time I find one ( and then I have to ship it !)
127 it is then. They're much the same really (unlike, say, the 15 vs 115). Nothing wrong with them at all, I love my VS2. My point was that they're harder to find bobbins for.

I'm in Australia, and most of the 201s I've bought have been the later aluminium ones with the external motor that weigh half of the cast iron ones and all 201s here are worth almost nothing.
The two I have now were $15 for a black one and $10 for a tan one. http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/201/ Both are the same degree of absolutely superb. Just checked the spreadsheet and I've bought 20 201s, 7 were cast iron. The most I ever paid was $50, and that was only because it came with a complete Swiss Zig-zagger in its box
Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 AM

It is very interesting the difference in pricing - over here, that swiss zigzagger would sell for around $200 - even without a machine!

I'd love to find a couple of later aluminum 201's, and would love a black and a tan one LOL!! I'll be lucky if I ever encounter one at a price I can afford.

BTW - the 127 is basically the updated version of the 27. The easiest way to tell which one it is - Singer relocated the bobbin winder to ride on the wheel instead of having it lower down to ride on the treadle belt. Made it a lot easier to put an electric motor on it that way.