Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Really Welcome! >

Advice Really Welcome!

Advice Really Welcome!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 AM

Default Advice Really Welcome!

Am about to try and quilt my first quilt - and I am scared! I think I have the tension set up correctly with my new walking foot, at least it seems that way on the test piece (I have a free motion foot, but don't think this is the right project to try in earnest for the first time - results so far have been, well, variable!). I've read and watched videos about how to sandwich it all up (the pieced top is going to be sitting on a Hobbs Heirloom premium cotton batting, with a joined cotton back), and I have a huge table (it will still need to be stuck together in three folds) and my spray baster at hand. I was going to just quilt it very simply with not quite straight lines (as wavy as I can manage with a home machine with a not very big throat) which will not follow any obvious diagonal - will this work? My machine is threaded and ready to go - and there everything has been for the last couple of days, but I am lacking the confidence to get started... Given that I have already begun the piecing of the next quilt, and have plans for the one after that, (and the next one...) I really need to get this done!
Any advice gratefully received
Old 06-01-2015, 01:57 AM

Let'er rip!!! It's yours with perfection or imperfection. I know from experience, I was alot like you and still am to a degree. Every single quilter started somewhere and WITH mistakes! No quilt police here that's for sure. You can always get a block sandwich and do a test run on it before you actually start quilting. I still do that. Someone else will see it with much beauty even you can spot your "flaws". You will do just fine!!!! Post pics when you do!

Happy Quilting!!

Monique
Old 06-01-2015, 02:26 AM

Well, I guess you will have to jump right in and start it... What is the worst thing that can happen?

Do small section at a time, take some break to rest, check what is done regurlarly so you can pick up the "mistakes" and don' t be your own quilt police. Stand back 3 feet and if it looks good, IT IS good.
the wavy lines would be perfect.
Feel the back of your quilt as you quilt a small section. You will be so proud mistake or not!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 AM

Sounds like you are ready to go! Wavy line quilting is a great choice, I use it a lot. I do make my first stitched wavy line down the center of the quilt, top to bottom edges, which helps stabilize the whole quilt together. Then I work adding lines from the middle alternating on both sides toward the outside edges. This way you should not have much issue with the layers shifting. Post a picture when you are done!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 AM

Be brave and go for it! You may see flaws, but if it is a gift to someone close they will only see the beauty and hard work that went into the quilt.
That's what happened to me with the first quilt that I ever machine quilted. I saw every nitpicking flaw, but my dil just loved it to pieces...literally. But I am really glad that I took the plunge and got my machine quilting feet wet. It has been easier each time thereafter to do the quilting.
Good Luck and I can't wait to see it!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 AM

Jump in the pool! The water is fine! Good luck!
Sandy
Old 06-01-2015, 04:19 AM

I'm at the same point as you. Scared but excited. All of these wonderful words of encouragement help so much. I have two tops done. Fmq her I come.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 AM

Leah Day suggested that it takes three quilts to get the hang of FMQ. I found this so helpful, as I then wasn't hung up on getting things perfect when I started. The important thing is to get started. And I was so thrilled to be finishing quilts, I didn't even mind the imperfections.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

The best advice I ever received about free motion quilting was when you see something that is not "perfect", just keep quilting. Then when it is done, see if you can still see it....if you can then fix it ( unsew it and redo). 90% of the time, you can't even find it and most of the rest of the time....it's not that bad. Character I call it. The Amish ladies have said "only God can make something perfect." I lean on that idea.
Enjoy the effort.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you are ready to get started. Go for it!! The wavy lines will be a great design to use. Remember to breathe, and relax those shoulders. You'll be done sooner than you think!
We are cheering for you! Do share pics when you are done~~