Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst quilting item purchased >

Worst quilting item purchased

Worst quilting item purchased

Old 07-03-2015, 05:48 PM

l agree,Chasing Hawk, the purple grips that look like almost square embroidery hoops with rubber grips on bottom. The idea seened good when l saw them at quilt show...but when using even the large one, l keep bumping into it with my hopping foot. l use the Fons& Porter grip gloves now & LOVE them.

Last edited by stitch678; 07-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Books, books and more books. What was I thinking? Same patterns just pictured in different fabric. Could have gotten most on line for free.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Pounce Pad and Chalk. Why a person with asthma would think it is a good idea to buy something that puts puffs of powder in the air... Stupid me.

Supreme Slider. Thing wads up as soon as it can.

Trangle rulers and a ruler to cut off points. Really. Such a waste of money.

I used to hate my June Taylor Shape Cut but one of the members here showed me the error of my ways. I love the thing now and even bought the one that does a full width of fabric.
I have well controlled asthma and wondered the same thing myself. Used it once. Never again.

Please share the secret to using the June Taylor Shape Cut.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:15 AM

It would have to be Alto Quilt Cut 2. Nice product, but never really liked using it, so I gave it to my friend.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 AM

What does everyone feel about magazine subscriptions? I get Fons & Porter and American Patchwork and Quilting (I think it's McCalls). Although I continue to subscribe to these, I've cut down on others. I think I'm going to get inspiration from them, but am not sure anymore. Which ones do you continue to subscribe to? Are you finding that they are the "same" patterns--just different patterns? Trying to justify to myself when they come up for renewal next year.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:23 AM

A six inch round carousal for cutting.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 AM

"My waste is the Curve Master foot. My curved piecing is STILL a disaster!"
I thought so too until I realized you hold the top piece up in the air while piecing.

Sharpener...hands down was my waste..
Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 AM

All those fancy quilt marking pens. Can't see the lines on most of the fabrics. The worst was when I bought the purple one & marked these wavy intersecting lines for on my placemats. It was one of my first quilting projects & took me longer to quilt than expected. By the time I finished the first two the placemats, the lines I drew on the last 2 had disappeared. I now use Crayola Ultra Clean markers or crayons & am super happy with them. 8 colors to choose from & they stay put until I wash them away.

The other thing, though it's not a notion, was all the money I spent buying crappy thread and fabric from JAF/HL. I was so happy to get rid of huge spools of low-quality threads at my latest guild auction. I got $1.50 for my quilt guild, but am not really sure those spools were worth that much. Ah well, at least it was for a good cause, right?
I had one fabric from JAF that actually became thread-bare just from piecing. It was a nightmare to repair, patch or strategically quilt those areas. It was the background fabric for several blocks with intricate applique work. I wasn't about to re-do 10 hours of applique work on a quilt for my niece, but it was definitely frustrating!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
What does everyone feel about magazine subscriptions? I get Fons & Porter and American Patchwork and Quilting (I think it's McCalls). Although I continue to subscribe to these, I've cut down on others. I think I'm going to get inspiration from them, but am not sure anymore. Which ones do you continue to subscribe to? Are you finding that they are the "same" patterns--just different patterns? Trying to justify to myself when they come up for renewal next year.
I get a quilting magazine with my subscription to AQS. I like the patterns in there & it has a lot of great ideas, photos & stories too. Plus, I get 10% off my order at Joann, regardless of whether it's full-price or sale because an AQS subscription qualifies me for JAF's VIP program. Wonderful for buying batting, notions (other than thread) and the occasional book.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
A sidewinder for winding bobbins...the bobbin winder on my machine works fine and is close by.
so sorry you didn't like this one......I use it ALL the time instead of having to rethread my machines...only problem is, it wont rewind the bobbins for the really old ladies, the bullet bobbins. .any one figure out how to do that yet?