Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on Janome machine >

Opinions on Janome machine

Opinions on Janome machine

Old 06-26-2015, 04:00 AM

Default Opinions on Janome machine

I am scouting out a Janome Memory Craft 8200. Does anyone here own one and how do you rate it?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I haven't tried one out, but have you gone in a test drove this one yet?? Does it have all the features you are looking for and within your affordable range?? I am partial to the Bernina line.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:59 AM

I have the 8900 and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it at least a 20. It's that great and I'm sure the 8200 is in the same category.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 AM

I have always owned Berninas but bought the 8200 recently. I have mainly used it for piecing and making a bag. Haven't tried FMQ on it so I can't report on that experience. I love the wide harp, the automatic thread cutter and that its default needle is down. It's very quiet and runs smoothly. There are LOTS of features and stitches I haven't used so I assume I will be learning more as time goes on. I like sewing on it even more than I expected.

The less positive aspects of the machine - the foot pedal that comes with the machine is cheap and very small. I had to buy the larger foot pedal ($90 - $100) to have a decent sewing experience. When sewing the bag, I was trying to stitch lines along the handle which was fairly thick and the Janome couldn't handle it. I fought for a few minutes, gave up and got out my Bernina 440 which did it easily and beautifully. I had ordered the 8200 edge stitch foot for the project - I found it to be cheaply made and not terrific quality, especially in comparison to Bernina feet which are admittedly more expensive.

Overall, I like the 8200 a lot and will continue to use it but would not be happy if it were my only machine. For me, it's the fine details of a project that mark it as well done or amateur looking, and I will still turn to Bernina for that sewing.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:32 AM

I have the 8200..overall it's a great machine. I love to free motion on this machine. IrishNY is correct, it's not great on thick seams. Also you need to measure your 1/4 inch as the foot or setting is not correct. Since I know that now it's not a problem. Love the large throat. I can't use the knee lift as it's so far away because of the long machine. I wish it was like my Vikings with a auto lift. I believe BabyLock does this also. Over all I'd buy the machine again. Didn't get the 8900 because I knew I would use the extra stitches and otherwise the machine are the same.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 AM

I have a 8200 Memory QC and love it. It is quiet and very reliable. Have not had any problems with it. It goes and goes and goes. I do a lot of FMQ with it and find it works well for that as well.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your responses. I too have a Bernina which is nearly 30 years old. I must have a million miles on it and only had it in the shop one time. (why am I looking at a Janome?) My friend is now selling Janome machines and yes, I did try it out yesterday. I enjoyed sewing with it and though there is a learning curve, I don't think it's too much for me. I don't like the idea that I would have to drag out my "old reliable" to do a thick seam, but do like the larger harp. Kind of a hard decision but think I will go check out Berninas again before I commit.
Thanks for giving me some food for thought.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM

I think many of us struggle with the dilemma you're facing. I know I did. I love my Bernina's but they refuse to put out a model with a significant harp size except at the very top of the line and I refuse to pay the price of their TOL machines (not a question of money but of value to me). So I was forced to buy from another manufacturer to get that feature. I would buy a middle of the line Bernina like my 440 again if they issued it with a 10" or 11" harp.

Good luck with your decision - it's a tough one.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 PM

I have the 8900 which is very similar. It is a great machine. It does a wonderful job on FMQ. When I bought mine, I intended to get the 7700. I tried out that and the 8200, as well as the 8900. I liked the 8900. My dealer said they had perfected some problems they had on the 8200. The price was just a few hundred $ more.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM

I have the 8900 and it is great even on thick seams. I love the extra stitch selection and also the 9mm width. I never tried the 8200 because I wanted the extra stitches and have not regretted it and at the time there was not much diff in the price of the two.