Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look >

Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look

Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look

Old 07-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Default Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look

I used to wash and iron every fabric I got on intake, so it would be clean and ready to go when I wanted to use it. Lately I realized I might regret "pre-shrinking" all this fabric if I wanted that crinkly look for a project. So I just steam-ironed everything to get the wrinkles out, folded, and put away. How much would this steam-ironing affect shrinkage? I'm assuming it has to shrink it to a degree (I'm using the cotton setting). Will I still get the crinkle look at all with the fabrics I've ironed? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 PM

I believe the crinkled look comes from the batting shrinking. If you use washed fabric and batting that isn't pre-soaked, you will still get a crinkly quilt. In fact, I get some crinkle even though I pre-soak my batting and air dry my quilts.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I think you should still be okay. It may shrink a bit more on a second washing.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM

You should get more crinkling if the fabric is preshrunk and the batting is cotton and is not preshrunk. If you think about it if you get a bit of shrinking from fabric and some from batting you get less crinkle. A cotton batting will give on average 3- 5 percent shrinkage. As the batting draws up in the shrinkage, it lifts the fabric as it can no longer lay flat.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:50 PM

I wash my fabrics when I get them, also. However, I iron them when I am ready to use them. It seems that the ironed fabric gets folds that have to be ironed out anyway after they have been stored for later use.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

As long as you use cotton batting (and don't pre-wash the batting), you will get the crinkle effect. Just be aware that polyester batting doesn't shrink; in that case, any crinkling is due to the fabrics.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:56 PM

This is all great advice, thank you! Good to know there are always other ways. Now if only I hadn't been ironing my fabric wrong. I always ironed and not pressed uncut fabric and not necessarily with the grain. There is so much to learn and keep track of. Now I'm trying to determine how to get my fabric back "on grain" after ironing or washing. Maybe it doesn't matter until I'm ready to use it.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Really, there is not much of an issue at all with "ironing" rather than "pressing" yardage. Where it becomes more important actually is when ironing seams while piecing. This is when aggressive "ironing" of a seam or a block instead of careful "pressing" can distort pieces or blocks. Also, there is unlikely to be any issue with yardage being "off grain" after ironing. "On grain" cuts are more important in clothing construction rather than quilting. This is because with clothing the pieces tend to be large and the direction of grain affects how the garment drapes on the body. Quilt pieces are, for the most part, small so grain becomes less of an issue. If you starch yardage heavily before cutting, you can even piece bias cut edges with no distortion (assuming you are careful). If you handle cut pieces carefully, blocks carefully, sashings carefully, and the unquilted top carefully, off-grain cuts won't matter. As long as the quilt top lies flat, you can quilt it and, once quilted, grain is no longer an issue at all because the quilting holds all the layers together in harmony.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reassurance! I haven't started making clothes yet and probably would not be using my cotton wovens anyways. It's scary to see things listed as "no-nos" that I am guilty of! I know there's a lot of opinions rather than musts out there but it does make me question myself sometimes!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 PM

I pre-wash all my fabrics & pre-soak my batting and always get the crinkled look. Cotton batting and cotton fabrics will give you that look. I know I see some people who suggest pre-washing on hot & drying on high heat... maybe that would make a difference -- and if you barely put in any quilting that will also limit the crinkled look, but as long as you wash it after you finish the quilt (I wash mine in Cold water on the Delicate setting & dry with Low heat) it will get that look. The more it gets washed, the more crinkly it will get over time.

And I think the "rule" about pressing rather than ironing is mainly important when working with bias cuts. If your pieces are all squares or rectangles, I don't think it makes any difference. When you start working with triangles, hexies or circles, the fabric can become slightly stretched out of shape/off grain. If you're not planning to enter it into a competition, I wouldn't worry about it much. Your quilt should still be beautiful.

The craziest rule I learned in a Craftsy class was that when working with white fabrics, you need to mark either the vertical or horizontal grain line. Apparently, under certain lighting conditions the exact same fabric from the same bolt will appear a slightly different shade depending on whether it is laid out on the horizontal or vertical grain. That just seems like complete insanity to me. I suppose if I were going to put a quilt in a major show and thought I actually had a chance to win, maybe I would take the time to mark all those pieces (it was an Irish Chain), but mostly that just seems WAY too picky for my taste.

Last edited by Bree123; 07-10-2015 at 09:08 PM.