Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about copying a pattern from a magazine. >

Question about copying a pattern from a magazine.

Question about copying a pattern from a magazine.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I found a quilt magazine that has a pattern that a friend of mine wants to use. I don't want to tear out the pages and I don't want to mail her the whole magazine as there are several patterns I want in there. I looked and the back issue is no longer available to buy. Are quilt magazines the same as quilt book or patterns bought separately as far as copyrights on the patterns?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

I don't know for sure but wouldn't it be like getting a magazine from the library and coping a page to use the quilt pattern? our library has a copy machine right there, you walk over drop a nickle in and you can copy the page!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

That is was what I was thinking too. You never know who will see the copy and I wanted to be in the right.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

As far as I know, you are only allowed to make a copy for your own use. (So you don't mess up the original pattern and so you can mark it up)
Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Are quilt magazines the same as quilt book or patterns bought separately as far as copyrights on the patterns?
Yes, I believe they are. By copying it and giving it to a friend, the copyright holder suffers a financial loss.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 PM

If you bought the magazine I would think you could copy anything.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM

How does the library get away with it then? Do they have to buy a lic. to have the books/magazine or what? or am I just suposed to look at all the quilt books they have and not make any of the patterns?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Library photocopying generally falls under the Fair Use clause -- so long as you are photocopying for private use, then it's probably within the Fair Use terms; additionally, libraries are absolved of any legal ramifications of what their patrons do in regards to copyright. You can read more about it here.

Technically, making a photocopy of something from a magazine for someone else (i.e. not for yourself, and you're not doing research for the person) violates copyright law, as you are distributing the work without the permission of the copyright holder.* But, realistically -- if the issue is no longer available for purchase, and you're not selling the copies, then it's not a big deal. It's the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law -- the company in question who holds the copyright is not going to be hurt in any way by your making the copy; they're not losing money, customers, etc. by your actions. You're not going to be hauled in front of a court for making the copy. If it were me, I'd do it, and feel no guilt -- if the issue was still available for purchase, that would be a whole other matter.

* I am not a lawyer, just a former librarian who has read a lot about copyright.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 PM

If she is a friend, why would she tell?
Better yet, just make a copy for yourself and let her borrow that copy of the pattern. ;) Just make sure you tell her you need it back in, oh--say 50 years or so...
Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Gotcha!!!!