Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about pvc-type quilt frames >

Question about pvc-type quilt frames

Question about pvc-type quilt frames

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Default Question about pvc-type quilt frames

I have wooden quilting frames that I've always used for tying quilts. I use thumbtacks to secure the fabric to the boards.

I'm curious about the pvc-type of frames. Do you have to make a quilt sandwich first before you put it on the pvc frames? So in other words, do you have to lay the backing out on a big, flat surface and then add the batting and the top and baste it and THEN put the quilt sandwich onto the pvc frames?

Or can you somehow put the backing on the pvc and then add the batting and then add the top and have it work out?

I only tie small baby quilts.

Thanks for any information you can give me.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

If it is a baby quilt, I lay the 3 layers on a flat surface, throw in a few pins so I can carry it to the frame, lay the sandwich centered on the 2X4 foot frame and put the clips on 2 sides, remove the pins from the quilt, I turn the clips until it looks taut, put on the 2 other sides clip and turn them outward until the quilt is taut. I check under the frame to make sure the back is as taut as the top, if not I remove a clip and pull the backing and re clip. Once it looks smooth and taut on front and back, I press down in the center of the frame to give me a little slack for hand quilting.
If you are just tying you could probably just leave it taut.
This is how I do it for fluffy polyester batts but thinner batts you could assemble back, batt and top on the frame if it was just a baby quilt. Lay out the back and put on clips, smooth out the batt and re clip one at a time, smooth out the top and re clip.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:37 PM

If you are talking about the 2x3' pvc frames, yes, it does need to be layered and basted or pined because you will be moving it as you quilt or tie. I have tied several small quilts on mine but I actually prefer the boards and pins.