Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina or Janome? >

Bernina or Janome?

Bernina or Janome?

Old 08-08-2015, 03:01 PM

I have a Bernina with the BSR. I find I often do fmq without the BSR engaged. Sometimes I do better with my own rhythm. I would seriously consider the larger throat. It makes a difference. I also like the Juki.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:06 PM

I have a light weight Janome and really like it for travel and classes. My 10 year old Grand Daughter also uses it and likes it. You may want to check on the stitch regulator to be sure it is not limited to a small area. The one for the Brother is limited, so I did not buy it. I really like my Brother machine also.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Red face purchasing a new sewing machine.

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
I've done many search attempts and found one great post on Berninas--but can't find anything on Janomes.

My Babylock Quest is in the shop and I've lost trust in it, so am looking for a new machine. The Bernina has this BSR--stitch regulator that even works for free motion quilting and after what my BL has put me though over the years--that is looking like the biggest selling point to me.

In reading about Janomes--which I like the look of better--but that can't come into play ;-) I don't see anything about stitch regulators. Janome lovers care to comment?

Bernina owners love their machines and except for the 700 series, they seem to be amazing. Are Janomes as amazing? I need a machine that doesn't skip stitches or have tension issues.

Looking at Bernina 380, 530, or 550QE or Janome Memory Craft 6300P--the price difference is $100s, but if a Bernina really will keep quilting joyful--I'm willing to pay.

I have a ELNA Quilting Queen I purchased 4 years ago. I love it and have just finished quilting a 90 x 90 inch quilt. When I learn how I will post a photo of the quilt. it is classed as a semi industrial machine with a 9" throat and has dual feed.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:23 PM

Love this thread! I, too, have started searching for a new sewing machine & am considering Bernina, Pfaff & Janome. Bernina's have the stitch regulator & have/have a retrofit for a knee lift on even their pretty old models (210, 215, 330). They sew slightly faster than Janome & tend to come with more feet.

Janome's (the one I researched the most was the Magnolia 730, but I also looked at other low-mid range models) have a larger harp & potential for wider stitch width (which is good if you do satin or zig-zag stitching but otherwise doesn't matter with quilting). They have Dual Upper Feed (like putting on a walking foot, but with any foot you use) & an extra high presser foot. The bobbins load from the top on the models I looked at, but at least the bobbin cover was clear. Also, the Janome's I've looked at are REALLY quiet compared to other brands. Between that & the extra 3" of throat space, I'm struggling to make the decision since Bernina's have such a great warranty and reputation.

It's interesting you mentioned the Bernina 210. That's actually the machine that Leah Day uses for piecing.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:09 PM

Bernina's have a DC motor, which will sew through nested seams. I traded two Janomes after I found them to have not enough power.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by connietoo View Post
I have always had Janomes....then I bought a Bernina!!! I got a 350. Learned about the difference between the Janome and the Bernina. The Janome foot snaps on and wiggles . The Bernina foot is put on and is tight and does not wiggle. Makes a BIG difference when sewing the quarter inch seam !!!! I LOVE MY BERNINA !!!!!!
I would whole heartedly agree with this... the wiggle in the feet really makes a difference.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Hi, neighbor! If it were still light out, you could see me waving at you!

Two reasons I'll never go with anything other than a Bernina again:

1. All metal inside. My first Bernina, that I still use and love as much as the day it came home 20 years ago, got knocked onto a concrete floor. It weighs 24 lbs., Katherine's cat weighed 10 or 12 at the time. How he did it, I'll never know. Other than pick it up, I didn't even want to look at it, so went to work and fretted all day. There is one very small crack in the back of the housing; you wouldn't even see it if you didn't know it was there. And I think the needle guide had to be replaced. That is it. Shortly after that happened, I went to Patchwork Plus (when they were still in "downtown" Skaneatlas). Another customer had brought in a different brand for service and we were all chatting about our machine nightmares. I told them about the tumble my machine took from the table to the floor. The owner had had two other brands brought in with similar situations (dropped). Neither of them survived; the cost to repair everything would have been greater than a new machine.

As I wasn't sure whether they are still metal parts, I asked when I was at Leroy's today: Yes, they are still all metal. Which is why the 740 I looked at - briefly - weighs 34 lbs.

Second is the power that a Bernina has. These machines are heavy, so I purchased a Janome (couldn't tell you the model number any more) that wasn't as heavy for travel, and to take to classes and retreats. I had it for a year and sold it. Just felt like a toy next to what I was used to, and couldn't make it through really thick seams without a struggle. Having not learned my lesson, a few years later I purchased yet another Janome, the Platinum Jem because of the weight issue. I still have it - and really must sell it as I just haven't used it.

A friend that I've traveled with to classes and retreats has a Pfaff (although I don't know the model). She will sometimes use my machine as she just can't get through thick seams, especially those found in bags.

Today I was making faux chenille pot holders. Decorator fabric, Insulbright, another layer of decorator fabric and 4 layers of heavy flannel. Not one complaint, no shifting of layers, didn't use a walking foot. Just sailed through.

When I was in Leroy's today (went to get a teflon foot), I had to wait while they went to get the foot (boy, that place is a mess! Can't wait until the expansion is done.) I looked at a couple of machines they had there. Much as I love the two Berninas I have now (my 153QE and a 240 for travel - 18 lbs, so a little lighter), I covet the larger harp. No desire at all for embroidery. The 740 and 710 would have the larger harp, no embroidery, and could have BSR added - but I'm not sure about the 9mm, having heard a lot of grumbling about them. Plus, I'd have to have different feet than for the machines I have now.

Thankfully, as they are quite torn apart right now, I didn't want to test machines. Bernina most always has specials just before Christmas, and quite often have 60 months same as cash. So maybe when they open the "new" store, I'll go give one a whirl. If I was as serious a quilter as you are, I'd be taking a complete sandwich with me - and I mean bed sized, not a lap/wall/baby size. You'll want to see how the machine, whatever one you are considering, handles those large quilts you do, and how it feels. Frankly, I'm not convinced that even with the larger harp that I'm going to be rushing to do bed quilts. I still send them to O'Sue's or to Beaver Creek, depending on the type of work I want done. Have sent them through the mail or UPS, but it about makes me sick to do so, so now stick with "locals."

All I want to be able to do is lap quilts and baby quilts for our soon-to-be baby! Katherine is due in January.

Phew - what a long message! Sorry to write a book. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer!

Robin
Old 08-10-2015, 06:20 PM

PS -You can also check machine reviews of most any model going back many years at patternreview.com. No cost to join.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 AM

Thanks peaceandjoy. I appreciate the book. If we had met while shopping in Wegmans... lol
I need the harp space. With the Bernina 210 I have on loan it's a shove to get bags under it. Bah. Harp space was one of my two top priorities when I went machine shopping years ago--and Berninas were looked at first, but the harp was shorter than the old Singer I had. So I had to look elsewhere. The need for that space hasn't changed.

I am interested in knowing more about your local quilters. My forever favorite quilter requires mailing and it too makes me ill to send them off. I sent the king Back to Nature to her--and the grandgirls' sister quilts...and more. None of them can be replaced due to the fabric lines discontinued. It worked out fine. I will still send all custom work to her, but I have three at Carriage House Quilts now--just pantos. I never quilt my laps and up... just crib and smaller stuff.

Congrats on becoming a grandmother--the absolute best role ever. I watched both of mine yesterday so mama could pick blueberries--heaven. I watch the little one tomorrow so mama can take the 2 year old to music class and out to lunch. They have a date. I will miss these many a week visits when school starts. I'd love to follow your path into grandmotherhood... if you want to share you'll have to friend me on facebook. ;-)
Old 08-13-2015, 12:24 PM

I bought a machine today! Janome 8200QC. New. Fantastic price. I went in looking for a 6300, 6500, or 6600. But he said this machine is on special because slight changes were made to it so Janome sells the ones before the change; the change is nothing big at all. Love the man who I worked with. He's an older gentleman with a wealth of information on sewing machines. We had some enlightening conversations. It's a little over an hour away--beautiful drive.

I asked him about basting spray. He said he'd be careful--use a good kind (he didn't know what a good one was) and cleaning with alcohol after is okay. He said to clean the bobbin case and thread cutter. (I can't believe a machine cuts thread! I've never sewn without a leader and ender to keep from the needle unthreading or a jam happening.)

I asked him about thread preferences. He loves Dual Duty thread! He didn't think Gutermann was the best based on folks who called in with troubles were often using it. Huh. I have to use up my Gutermann for sure, but will consider a switch. That can be the next investigation. lol

I haven't heard from the folks fixing my machine. The gentleman today thought it was a very sad story--and thinks the machine is a lemon for sure. He was very disappointed no one has been able to fix it.