Singer 99K Motor needed

Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 AM

Default Singer 99K Motor needed

If any one can help me it will be the people on this board.

I just purchased a Singer 99K that is beautiful. All of the gold trim is intact, everything shines like a dream. Serial number EL591058 (1956). However, it doesn't work. Figure it must be the motor, or the wires are broken somehow in the plug in cord. I only paid $50 for it so can afford to put some money into it. Is there somewhere I can order parts? Motor says "CAT No RF5-8 Simanco USA".
Thanks to all in advance.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM

I hope someone can steer you in the right direction to getting your vintage machine to work!!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM

Set it up and thread and fix the bobbin as if you're going to sew. Put some fabric under the needle. Then hand crank the wheel to see if it sews. That'll get you started.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Figure it must be the motor, or the wires are broken somehow in the plug in cord.
If you don't know if it's the cord, I'd start there. If you have a multimeter check the continuity between the two plugs.
Cords are extremely easy to disassemble for checking and repair.
When taking the motor plug apart, don't get the order of the copper contacts mixed up. A digital camera is a great help here.
Electrical problems are very easy to diagnose, and safe if you're thorough.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM

I'd check the wiring and motor first. The motors are pretty hard to kill.
Rodney
Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 PM

It is usually the wiring, not the motor. Rodney is right, they are hard to kill. I have never had a really bad motor. Wiring on the other hand, is usually bad if the machine is 50 years or older. If it is hard and brittle, "crunchy" insulation, then get rid of the old wiring. DH routinely puts new wiring on my machines. We buy it by the roll. Better safe than sorry. Our local Home Depot has nice plugs too. He is losing his sight and has made diagrams for me to follow when he can no longer do it for me.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'd check the wiring and motor first. The motors are pretty hard to kill.
Rodney
I've had only one that's truly dead and I was amazed (because I've revived about a hundred). The armature had truly had it, and the poor old thing will never go again, unless I have the armature rewound. The machine it was on is in the same condition: a 319K that was used and used and used until everything is worn out.
Here's why yours couldn't be worn out: The gold decals are in good condition. That's all I need to be sure the motor is also. If all the decals and Japan had been worn off (like poor old 319K) I'd think otherwise, but if it's unworn i will be unused and so will the motor.
Take one of the motor brushes out and check it for wear. I'm willing to bet it's like new.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Is the machine stitching at all? Visually inspect the machine - are there any parts missing??? Cord ok, etc??? First make sure it is cleaned and oiled. When I refurb one, I start with the bobbin area. I take it apart and clean, clean, clean. I've seen lint cakes in those machines more than any others. Once that is clean I take apart the tension, clean and make sure it is reassembled correctly. Then everything else gets cleaned and oiled. Then I sew test by turning it by hand. If the motor doesn't work I have spares but usually the motor is fine. If the motor isn't fine you can do the mentioned above stuff or you could buy a spoked wheel and a hand crank attachment from Sew-classic. Those little machines make a really nice hand crank.

Last edited by miriam; 08-15-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:15 AM

Hello all.....my 99K that I posted the message about is absolutely clean, and all parts are there, and the wiring is intact. I know nothing about electrical issues and must admit that the subject somewhat scares me. My fiancé thinks I should simply take it to a sewing machine repair place and have them fix it. I've seen replacement motors on EBAY. What are the chances that I'll get a good one there? Would you take it somewhere to be repaired, or do the replacement arts?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Hello all.....my 99K that I posted the message about is absolutely clean, and all parts are there, and the wiring is intact. I know nothing about electrical issues and must admit that the subject somewhat scares me. My fiancé thinks I should simply take it to a sewing machine repair place and have them fix it. I've seen replacement motors on EBAY. What are the chances that I'll get a good one there? Would you take it somewhere to be repaired, or do the replacement arts?
Your fiancé is right: Taking it to a good repair place is the best idea and they'll probably spot the problem instantly. If the motor isn't the problem you're just wasting your money.