Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Screwed Up >

Really Screwed Up

Really Screwed Up

Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, I know I am a different thinker, but I would leave it. I would contact the folks you made it for and show them. If they are non-quilters, they may not mind at all. The mistake makes the quilt unique, and I rather like it. If they hate it, then fix it so that it looks like it should.

(Don't throw things at me, please!!)

Dina
Im with Dina. It kind of looks modern.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:54 PM

I made an exquisite basket quilt and had a friend help me arrange the squares, showed it to another friend before getting it quilted, brought it home and showed it to people while I was binding it. I then laid it out on my bed and suddenly spotted the upside down triangle! I swear the gremlins put it in there! I was sure it would bother me. No, it doesn't. When I spot it I say to myself, "Hey you are a pretty good quilter but you're not perfect. You have to wait for heaven for that!" I always get a smile for myself!!
You are a good quilter. I like your quilt. You're just not perfect, yet!
Ask the new owners what they want you to do with it.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:57 PM

I think it's really too bad this is for someone else and it has to be perfect. I would leave it if you can. I might even hang it on the wall and tell everyone I meant to do it. It's like a piece of modern art that's meant to tweek people. Am I the only one that gets bored with the symmetrically perfect quilt patterns? I love it. I now have a new quilt idea. Never been into the classic quilt star patterns, but I think if I did something like this and quirked each block just a bit I'd really like it. It isn't funny to you now, but one day I think it will be.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

I would never be able to leave it as is... just the way I'm wired. At least all the error is at the very side, so the unpicking and fixing won't be so devastating. Once you take out the quilting and remove the offending pieces, you can fix and then piece them back in by hand if necessary. Then just redo that quilting by following the pattern set up by the LA quilter.

WHAT is wrong with your LA quilter's eyes, by the way? She should have seen the glaring mistake and STOPPED. Sometimes I think people just don't care...
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Call me crazy, but I'd just leave it. It's pretty as it is and just a bit more eye catching in a pleasant way with the mistake.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:43 AM

For all you blaming the LA quilter - You need to stop, it's not his or her responsibility to QA YOUR piecing. You didn't see it, expecting someone else to catch your mistake is just plain irresponsible. For all they know, it's meant to be that way. I'll bet he or she has had plenty of experience getting hollered at for "asking stupid questions" and no thanks for finding a mistake. I once, and only once, finished a top for a 'friend' exactly to the pattern. She had made an error in the pattern, when I brought it up she didn't even listen and told me to do it exactly like the pattern, then said I was too stupid to be trusted to do anything right when she picked it up because I hadn't just fixed it. I gave her her money back and told her to pack her a$$ and her out the door and not let it hit her on the way out. If you want the LA to QA and critique your piecing, be prepared to pay for it and for the feedback on the quality of your work.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:58 AM

I know the LAQ might not have caught this but its still pretty upsetting. I am going to remove the stitches and rip out the blocks fix them and put back in. There is no way i can leave it as is, maybe if it was just one block that would be fine but since there are two of them I just can't do it. The lady that purchased this quilt said so I am paying for your mistakes and I said no you are buying a one of a kind! She laughed and said she liked it but I just can't leave it like this.

Thank you everyone thwt gave me your input. I will post pictures of the quilt after the fix.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:27 AM

It's nice of your buyer to accept it the way it is, but I'd have to fix it too.

I had a quilt with a similar error, but it was a lot less noticeable in the pattern I had. I only saw it because I put the finished top up on my design wall for a few days so it wouldn't get rumpled waiting to be quilted. Once I saw it, I HAD to fix it, even though 3 other (non-quilter) people couldn't see the problem even when I pointed it out. I could see it, and that was enough to make me need to fix it! Fortunately it was just a top at that point, and it was near the edge like yours is.

Good luck with your fix. It's a very cute quilt, I'm sure your buyer will LOVE it!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
finished top up on my design wall for a few days
This is the only way to be sure everything is correct. I have my design wall opposite my sofa, so I can sit and enjoy the beauty of the quilt for a few days. As I work with it and add things, sometimes things need to change.

But it is also true that it can really look different after everything is sewn together. On the wall, it is easier to notice and change before it is quilted.

Good luck on fixing it. 20 years from now you will be much, much happier knowing you did right by that quilt.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 PM

I'm very good at making mistakes...so at least I have one part of the quilting process nailed!