Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Concerned about fusible applique >

Concerned about fusible applique

Concerned about fusible applique

Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM

Default Concerned about fusible applique

I bought a Jinny Beyer kit at the recent Craftsy sale. I rarely buy kits, but this quilt bowled me over. It said that it came with some laser-cut applique pieces. Having only done needle-turn applique, and never from a kit, I imagined I'd be getting pieces with seam allowance to turn under. But they are pieces cut to size with some fusible material on the back. Never having done fusible, I'm concerned about a few things.

I'm wondering if fusible applique with blanket-stitched edges is a more casual look that will be at odds with the character of the rest of the quilt (which I see as quite elegant). Do you need to use some kind of stabilizer when using fusible? Are there any pitfalls to watch for that are unique to doing fusible applique? I will be hand sewing; is it going to be harder to stitch through the fusible pieces? Hand strength is a real issue with me (or lack of it), and if it's going to be harder to stitch, then I should definitely plan to cut new applique pieces and needle turn them.

http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/para...92318~zsofnho4
Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 AM

I made several fusible applique projects but not a kit. Hand sewability is all according to the type of fusible involved, you will have to give it a try on one to see if it is doable. Some fusibles are very light and should be easy. I have either machine stitched a blanket stitch or just sewn a straight stitch along the edge of the applique about a 1/16 of an inch in. The fusible should be enough stabilizer.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I use fusible applique quite a bit but I always secure it with the machine. If you use a blending thread, the stitch won't show as much. That might make you feel better. Follow the instructions for fusing (temperature and time). Good luck.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:44 AM

I have used fuxible a lot for baby quilts. I always machine satin stitch around all edges. So far no reports of them ever coming loose along the stitching, although some times after many washings the fusible will let go in spots and cause a little pocket of air under the applique.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

A tiny, close blanket stitch with invisible thread is used a lot on her appliqued quilts. I prefer that over heavy stiff satin stitch. Just me but I never satin stitch appliques. If I don't use a blanket stitch I just use a little zigzag.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM

Raw edge applique does not typically use stabilizer, but if you are going to do a machine satin stitch then yes, I would recommend a nice tear away stabilizer while you are doing the satin stitching. Personally, I don't like satin stitching, but a blanket or applique stitch will fray slightly when washed. If you are making a wall quilt, you can have it laundered at the cleaners & you should be fine. If you plan to use this as a bed quilt, a tight stitch is the way to go if you don't like that more casual frayed look.

Jinny usually gives very clear instructions in her classes. I would look to see what she recommends in the Craftsy class that accompanies the kit.

Sorry, just read that you are going to hand stitch. Fusible is slightly more difficult to stitch through than just fabric, but there are techniques to make it easier. (1) Don't fuse until you're ready to stitch. The longer fusible sits on the fabric, the harder it is to stitch through. (2) Use a lightweight fusible whenever possible. It may not have as strong a hold, but it is much easier to push a needle through. (3) Try John James Gold'n Glide Applique needles. They are coated with Teflon to move through the fabric easier. You can also try their milliner's needles, but they will bend a lot moving through fusible and you will go through a couple packs of needles on a single quilt.

Smaller stitches will prevent fraying. You should be ahead of the curve with your needle turn skills. I've seen many people put 1/4 - 3/8" spacing between their stitches when doing a raw edge blanket stitch. That's definitely going to fray quite a lot. The length should match the width, and shorter is more secure (albeit less decorative).

Maybe give it a try with a couple fabric scraps. (Also, be sure to use a pressing sheet when working with fusible so it doesn't ooze out the side of the fabrics & get on your iron.) You might find you really like this technique & remember that the quilt you fell in love with and bought a kit for was done with a raw edge technique, so it can't be all bad.

Last edited by Bree123; 08-31-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM

On fusible appliqué shapes I most often use satin stitching which I love. That said.. I am really surprised that a kit from a Jinny Beyer pattern has fusible used on it.... She is the Queen of Hand Piecing so I can't ever imagine her using fusible herself on appliqués but perhaps that is a requirement for the project she is teaching on craftsy?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Thank you all for the information! I zoomed in on one of the Craftsy photos, and it appears the sample quilt appliques were machine sewn with a straight stitch a little ways in from the edge. When the time comes, I will try stitching through some of the excess fusible trimmings to see how hard it is to push the needle through.

It appears I misspoke in calling this a Jinny Beyer pattern. The fabrics are by Jinny Beyer, but the pattern says, 'A Project House 360 Quilt Pattern' and is credited to Christine Stainbrook. There is no class with the pattern (and the pattern directions seem rather minimal, yikes). It would seem that the fusible applique kit was optional and was originally sold separately, but Craftsy included it with the kit in their sale.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Cool

I finished a project that had fusible on the back just this year. You can use the clear thread to blanket stitch or what I did was match the thread to the fabric that I was appliqueing. It takes a lot of time changing thread and bobbins but is worth the effort!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM
KLO

After looking at the link you included, I was trying to figure out how this quilt could possibility be fused ..... then I saw the flowers in the border. I am assuming they are the fusible parts? I too just machine straight stitch right along the edge to secure the fused pieces. I usually use invisible thread, either the clear or the smokey depending on the lightness or darkness of the piece to be fused. If you go to McKenna Ryan's website and read the paragraph on Free Motion Savvy, you will find out how she sews her fusible pieces down while quilting the quilt. Granted it all machine quilting so as someone else, it may be best for you to try a scrap piece to see if hand quilting works for you. Good luck. That quilt will be beautiful when it is completed!

http://www.pineneedles.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1877