Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Thickness >

Rag Quilt Thickness

Rag Quilt Thickness

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Rag Quilt Thickness

I am going to make some Rag Quilts for family members for Christmas this year. I will be using flannel materials. My question is instead of batting for the middle I was going to use just another layer of flannel cut 1/2" smaller. Some of the people I have spoken with about this have said that they think that any type of middle layer will make the quilt too heavy and I shouldn't use anything at all. I know flannel is warm but I am thinking that the middle layer whether batting or flannel will add extra warmth which here in Wisconsin in the middle of winter is not a bad thing. What do you all think?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be easier to just cut the three layers the same size.

It might depend on how heavy your flannel is. The chamois type of flannel is extremely dense and heavy and some flannels are almost gauzy.

I think if the raggy part is turned toward the body instead of toward the room - it would sort of trap air and act like insulation.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 AM

If you are using flannel I would cut it the same size as your outer pieces. When you use batting it is cut smaller so it stays within your block. The flannel will be clipped and ragged along with the rest of the quilt. I do not think it would be too heavy especially in wisconsin's cold winters
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by murphzmom View Post
I am going to make some Rag Quilts for family members for Christmas this year. I will be using flannel materials. My question is instead of batting for the middle I was going to use just another layer of flannel cut 1/2" smaller. Some of the people I have spoken with about this have said that they think that any type of middle layer will make the quilt too heavy and I shouldn't use anything at all. I know flannel is warm but I am thinking that the middle layer whether batting or flannel will add extra warmth which here in Wisconsin in the middle of winter is not a bad thing. What do you all think?
Agree with other posters. If you are going to use flannel as middle layer, there is no need to cut shorter. It makes a wonderful fluffy edge when clipped and washed.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I always use 3 layers of flannel, all cut the same size, which eliminates the need for quilting an X through each block and gives more loft to the ragging. I also like to occasionally use some corduroy in the top of the quilt to give an added texture. The quilts are not at all heavy. I think what would make them heavier would be to make the blocks smaller, which would mean more seams, therefore more fabric and a heavier quilt.

Eta: if you're doing a rag quilt you do want the seams to be larger, from 1/2" to 1". I usually do 1/2" seams.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:06 PM

I am currently making my second rag quilt ever with flannel. I cut all my blocks at 10" and I am using one of the 10" squares for the middle layer of all my blocks. It makes it really easy to cut and assemble.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM

You Want the extra warmth in your climate. 3 layers of the nice quilt store flannel would be wonderful.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

It is going to be easier just to cut the three layers at the same time.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 AM

i also make rag quilts and make the 10 inch squares...less waste I find...I sew an X in the middle of them, I do 3 layers of flannel cut the same size. They are so warm and cuddley
Old 09-03-2015, 07:49 AM

My sister and I both made flannel rag quilts. Mine had batting between layers hers did not. Mine was warmer and she wished she had used batting.