Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Glue >

Elmer's Glue

Elmer's Glue

Old 09-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Thank you for sharing this going to try it
Old 09-27-2015, 03:14 AM

I would also like know the ratio to try this way.

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
GemState: what is the ratio you use to dilute it for spay basting? I would like to try that.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by GemState View Post
I have used Elmers glue for basting for several years and love it. At first I just drizzled in thin lines but once in a while would end up with a few stiff spots. I have found if I dilute it and spray it on, then take my hand and just smooth over the whole part that I have sprayed it distributes it evenly. After I have sprayed both sides I go over it with the iron lightly to just help dry it. It's the way to go for me!

Most of the time I do my spray basting on the bed. There's just enough give that it is so easy to get it smooth.
When u say u dilute, about what %?
Old 09-27-2015, 05:09 PM

I just wonder what happens when these quilts are washed. I just sounds very messy to me. I use mostly just safety pins and sometimes 505 spray very small amount. I worry about clogging up my machine needle.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:34 AM

Default Sticky back

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
Sticky back window film? How do you use that?
I use the sticky back window film for hooping my embroidery work. I went to my son in laws one day and saw this window film that he uses to cover windows when he does stucco work on houses. I thought maybe I could use it, so I got a piece to try out. I also used the elmers glue stick to go round the inside of the hoop, but not on the design, just to make sure it holds. I hoop the film, lay the material down, slide a piece of stabilizer under the hoop and sew. When it's done I pull the film and stabilizer away from the design.
It is cheaper than paying for sticky back stabilizer from Joanns. I paid 45.00 for the roll, 23 inches, I forgot how long, but that was 15 years ago, over a thousand designs ago, and I still have enough film left to do it all over again, twice. I love the film.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
I just wonder what happens when these quilts are washed. I just sounds very messy to me. I use mostly just safety pins and sometimes 505 spray very small amount. I worry about clogging up my machine needle.
Curious as to what concerns you. School glue seems to be made of water soluble starch. It washes away. When it dries it does not gum up the needle. I've done maybe 10 quilts with glue and haven't even changed the needle (I'm bad about that!) and the starch washes out and does not clog anything. We have had many members using the Washable School glue and I don't remember anyone saying the dry starch gums a needle or does anything in the washer. Anyone have these issues?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:29 AM

I have used it to bind. If it doesn't lie as I want it...just pull on it, it will come right up. Easily redone.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Curious as to what concerns you. School glue seems to be made of water soluble starch. It washes away. When it dries it does not gum up the needle. I've done maybe 10 quilts with glue and haven't even changed the needle (I'm bad about that!) and the starch washes out and does not clog anything. We have had many members using the Washable School glue and I don't remember anyone saying the dry starch gums a needle or does anything in the washer. Anyone have these issues?
The key is to ensure that the glue is dry before starting the quilting! I never have any issues, but I usually let my quilts "air-dry" (I have an 8ft pool table that is just perfect for basting quilts)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 AM

Thanks for telling me it drys to a starch and will not gum up. I just over sprayed my last quilt with regular spray glue 505 and had a horrible time with my sewing machine jamming up, breaking needles etc. A nightmare to say the least.
Didn't think I sprayed that much, but guess I did.

Last edited by fallonquilter; 09-28-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM

I don't usually use anything under my quilt when spraying because I try not to get any on my counter. I use a large piece of cardboard to hold/place on the sides to catch any over spray, also point the spray toward the inside of the quilt. After spraying the quilt, for any residue I spray 409 on the counter, let it set for one minute and wipe clean. If you really want something under the quilt, you can buy a thin piece of plastic 10 foot by 10 foot at the Dollar Tree for 1.00. Love the Dollar Tree and Harbor Freight for sewing items. Speaking of Harbor Freight, I bought the small magnetic bowls for my pins, bobbins etc for 2.99.*** at JoAnn's they cost 9.99.
From the dollar store, I use their washable glue sticks, the thin plastic for a lot of things, their heavy duty zip up bags for storing my quilts in once they are done, their large clips for holding my quilts to my counter, their containers for my scraps, zippers etc.