Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Glue >

Elmer's Glue

Elmer's Glue

Old 09-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

SlightlyOffQuilter on this board has posted a tutorial about using spray starch from a can to make the sandwich.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...h-t242179.html
Old 09-25-2015, 03:41 PM

I have had great results with Elmers glue and glue sticks (even the disappearing purple one). It has always washed out for me. I find it quick and easy. I also use it for applique. If you need it to dry quickly, iron it (not on the glue side).
Old 09-25-2015, 03:50 PM

Love your roller & pan idea! I use a paint brush & have the diluted glue in a bowl. I haven't used the clear glue but use Elmers washable school glue (white), I found gallon jugs very cheap on amazon, with free shipping. I remember someone posted they used the blue glue but it stained white fabric.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:23 PM

Just use it right out of the bottle. Squeeze thin lines over your backing, smooth the batting over that, then squeeze thin lines all over the batting and layer the top onto the batting, smoothing it all out with your hands to make sure its making contact with the batting, gently pressing with your hands. I usually let it dry overnight before quilting. Wash quilt when finished. Make the glue lines about as far apart as for pins.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Use a shower curtain or get a cheap tarp. DH has a cheap tarp he got for $5.00.
By "cleaning off my cutting table", I don't think she meant that the glue would mess it up. I think she meant all the STUFF that accumulates on such tables, as does on mine. I use my queen size bed and have done it many times. There is NO over spray or anything to clean up after the quilt is finished.

I find the middle of the top, middle of the batt, and middle of the back. Pin this line together a few places across the quilt. I fold the top back to the pin line and squeeze 50-50 diluted-with-water glue over the batt to about half way down. Run my fingers over the glue line to get ride of the "beading" and spread the top down and smooth as I go. I use my iron (on the bed) to help dry the glue. Then I fold that back to the glued line and finish that half the same way. Do the other end of that side, then turn it over the repeat on the other side.

I found that when I wash it later, I need to use warm water and a little soap.

And this glue will NOT gum up your machine. There is no "gum" in it. It dries to a starch.

I especially love using the glue to baste the folded binding (after is has been sewn on) to the back side if I want to stitch in the ditch from the front. Almost never miss anything when working from the front. The corners may need a little help with a pin or two.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a shower curtain, tarp and flannel back tablecloth to make sure anything nearby doesn't get hit with overspray. Anything that is sprayed out of a can or even a spritzer bottle has a tendency toward overspray no matter how direct you try to be. If you have a fan anywhere in the room for circulation, you will have overspray. Just a suggestion.
Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
By "cleaning off my cutting table", I don't think she meant that the glue would mess it up. I think she meant all the STUFF that accumulates on such tables, as does on mine. I use my queen size bed and have done it many times. There is NO over spray or anything to clean up after the quilt is finished.

I find the middle of the top, middle of the batt, and middle of the back. Pin this line together a few places across the quilt. I fold the top back to the pin line and squeeze 50-50 diluted-with-water glue over the batt to about half way down. Run my fingers over the glue line to get ride of the "beading" and spread the top down and smooth as I go. I use my iron (on the bed) to help dry the glue. Then I fold that back to the glued line and finish that half the same way. Do the other end of that side, then turn it over the repeat on the other side.

I found that when I wash it later, I need to use warm water and a little soap.

And this glue will NOT gum up your machine. There is no "gum" in it. It dries to a starch.

I especially love using the glue to baste the folded binding (after is has been sewn on) to the back side if I want to stitch in the ditch from the front. Almost never miss anything when working from the front. The corners may need a little help with a pin or two.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:05 AM

small roller is a great idea, can't wait to try this
Old 09-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I have been using spray glue for 20 years with no problem. As long as its washable. Before the Elmer's spray glue that I use now, I was using spray glue from the automotive department at Walmart. I haven't bought any from there in a long time, but back then it was 3.98 for the large can. I'll check the next time I go to Walmart. lol I spray glue my quilts and also use a few pin. On my embroidery work I use the washable glue sticks from Dollar Tree to hold the material in place. I have not hooped any material in years, I only hoop the sticky back window film that I use. Sylvia
Sticky back window film? How do you use that?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 AM

GemState: what is the ratio you use to dilute it for spay basting? I would like to try that.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
Just use it right out of the bottle. Squeeze thin lines over your backing, smooth the batting over that, then squeeze thin lines all over the batting and layer the top onto the batting, smoothing it all out with your hands to make sure its making contact with the batting, gently pressing with your hands. I usually let it dry overnight before quilting. Wash quilt when finished. Make the glue lines about as far apart as for pins.

This is how I do it, too. I have and do use spray adhesive, as well, and like it because it covers well. But I hate the overspray! So I'm using Elmer's washable glue more and more often.