Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Fair question >

Craft Fair question

Craft Fair question

Old 09-26-2015, 04:41 PM

I think your friend is a little over sensitive. It's not snarky at all. I can't think of a single logical person I know who would assume that pet homes are lesser than non-pet homes because of such a sign. There are so many people out there who have allergies, it's just good customer service to be informative.

To be honest, my husband pointed out that to people with allergies, items made in a pet-friendly location may very well not be "as worthy" as items from a pet-free location, simply because of the impairment and annoyance that allergies cause. It's just not worth the hassle.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:58 PM

It is not offensive and I am a pet lover. People have so many allergies nowadays and cigarette smells are offensive to many, I think it is an excellent idea to post the sign. We pay a premium for organic foods, and this is similar to me.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:12 PM

I favor the sign.
Personally, I would like to know if fabrics have been pre-washed and tested for bleeding before I buy a quilt made from them, but that is something I could ask the sellers about.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

I do not mind the sign - in fact - I would be happy to see a sign saying - non smoking- pet free - washed with hypoallergenic detergent - no fabric softeners used -

I am relatively allergy free as far as fragrances, pet dander, etc. are concerned. However, if something IS scented, I prefer a very light scent, if any - I do not like the smell of smoke - and if any hair is going to be on whatever - I want it from MY household.

I do wonder if anyone would put a sign saying - "Items made from pet-filled, smoke-filled home" ???
Old 09-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Your friend sounds like my husband did when the state of Louisiana outlawed smoking in restaurants. He was a smoker and was outraged. Since then he has quit smoking and now hates it if anyone is around us smoking when we are eating. It is legal to smoke out of doors at a restaurant. Your friend has never had an allergic response to something or she would understand that you are helping people be safe.

I agree with everyone else. Put the sign up. And I think you should sign it "An allergic person". I would go to your booth first because I know it would be safe. There are a lot more people than you think that will appreciate your honesty. Good luck with the craft fair.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I think your friend is overly sensitive! Some people see everything as a personal offense.

I love animals but would appreciate buying things that aren't covered in someone else's pet's hair.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM

In my experience, no matter what you say or do, there will always be that one person who is offended. If you make the sign without malice in your heart, I believe that's enough. You can't control what other people think, say or do. I agree with GingerK that it's the same as the allergen warnings we find on foodstuffs. Cheerios has a new ad campaign advertising that their cereal is now gluten-free. As somebody who is not allergic to gluten, I don't find that the slightest bit offensive. I understand it's meant for the small number of people with Celiac disease or gluten allergies.

In regards to your first question, YES! I absolutely look for that sign (or will ask if I believe it was made in someone's home) that indicates it's from a pet-free, smoke-free home.

I sadly made the decision to find a new embroiderer after the one I found after a great deal of research met with me and I found out she allows her long-haired dog to rub up against stacks of finished work on the floor of her sewing studio. I used to assume that a business owner would at least keep his/her pet away from their work product, but I now realize pet lovers often like to have their pets in their sewing studios with them. My baby quilt clients worry about their grandbabies' potential reactions to smoke or pet dander. Parents don't know right away whether their newborn will be allergic to anything. My niece wasn't allowed to be allergy tested until she was 12 months old so they had to reduce as many possible allergens as they could & then try to figure it out by trial and error. Beyond that, with pets, kids can be allergic to certain breeds but not others. And cigarettes are filled with so many chemicals there are literally dozens of possible allergens packed in each one. So, yes, parents/grandparents often prefer pet/smoke-free quilts (and no wool, and dye/fragrance free detergent, and some even insist on only organic cotton) for their little ones.

If anyone raises an issue about them being from a pet-free home (I've yet to encounter that -- though sometimes people will recommend I get the same pet as them; or get some pet they heard is "hypoallergenic"), I'd just say that my quilts may be from a pet-free home, but they are all pet-friendly. I wouldn't advertise that in writing, but another quilter suggested I respond with that statement & it seems to work. The same 100% cotton fabric/batting/thread that make quilts kid-friendly and washable also make them pet-friendly and washable.

I think nearly all smokers realize there are some people who are sensitive or allergic to cigarette smoke. Your sign is not a judgement on their choice to smoke. If they take it that way, that's on them. I guarantee you anyone getting that upset over one line on a sign for homemade quilts was upset about something long before they saw your sign. Try to show compassion for them as people, but don't let their negative remarks discourage you.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:32 PM

Yes,agree also. I cannot be around any clothing -fabric that has been in tbe same room as a smoker. I bought a camera off e-Bay that reaked and rubbed it down w/everything imaginable and still it smelled.I have a cat but my quilting and sewing is far from her and never goes on the floor especially hung away from her. As soon as completed they are boxed up. I read that some ladies use a lint brush when they show quilts at a fair just to be sure no loose threads or hairs (human too) are not anywhere on them.

Last edited by ukdame; 09-26-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 PM

I do not understand your friend taking offence. It is not a condemnation of people with pets, it is a statement of fact.

I warn everyone who enters my house that I have pets and keep their shoes on or their socks will get dirty.

Me, I do not worry about a bit of pet hair, but I do not like the smell of cigarette smoke. All used books I buy have to pass a sniff test and I will not lend a book that I may want back to a smoker. If I know I will not want the book back I do not worry about who gets it.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:43 PM

I think it's ok, I hate the smell of smoke, I have two dogs, who sometimes lie on the floor of my sewing room, but my fabric is stored in drawers and my quilts are up on the table my machines are on and nowhere near the dogs. I don't like my dogs anywhere near my sewing, I hate dog hairs on my clothing. I am ok with dogs but cannot be anywhere near cats as I have a severe asthma attack, and this has happened at work when coming into contact with cat owners.