Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend? >

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 AM

Singer 242 is a good older machine I use mine all the time.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
...All the models with cams have a blanket stitch, it shouldn't be a difficult requirement.
That’s news to me...

....some of the favorite models look at best intersting if not slightly ugly LOL (Singer 401!).
First time I’ve heard a 401 called ugly.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-04-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
...First time I’ve heard a 401 called ugly...
First time I had my hands on a 401 I don't think I even had seen a picture of them. Joints in the body were stained by oil and dirt, it didn't look like any thing I've seen. It was actually in very nice condition under the dirt, it cleaed up very well. I've grown used to the look now, but at the time it was an odd looking machine ;- )
Old 10-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

When Miriam referenced the 328 with the froggy eye, it reminded me that my very first machine I bought for myself is the Singer 327 which does straight stitch and zigzag no cams but no blanket stitch. I have dragged this machine around with me every time I moved (in the car, because was told movers steal sewing machines, sorry movers but that was a long time ago). It has never given me the first bit of problems. I used to have it maintained about every year the first few years. Then put it aside and used when I needed. Then got involved in the vintage machines and took this one out and oiled and lubed it. Dry as a bone! I'm sure I used it that way over the years, not knowing any better. But, it drank the oil, and while I think someone said these are noisy machines, it doesn't seem very noisy to me. Maybe because I like the way it sounds (familiar). It does a nice zig zag and never had a problem with the straight stitch. I don't think I have ever changed the bulb. I see them on eBay cheap every now and then.
singer 327 image
Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Cari mentioned Brother. I have a Brother Prestige with no cams. It has straight stitch, zigzag and blind hem stitch built in. It's a very smooth running machine, comparable to my daughter's 401A. I'm sure it would be even better if I replaced the belt on it. I just bought an older MW machine made by Happy(straight stitch and zigzag only) and it's comparable to the other two. I would recommend any of the three but the Brother and MW machine don't have a blanket stitch. My other Japanese machines aren't as well built, they have more vibration.

The 400 and 500 series slant needle machines from Singer are popular for good reasons. They also have the advantages of being relatively common and having easy to find accessories. The greatest machine in the world does you no good if you can't find one or parts to fit it. Ebay is full of cams and feet for the slant needle series of machines. Searching for cams for many zigzag machines is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm a fan of Touch & Sews too-even with the plastic gears. Plastic gears are a problem for any machine of that age. The plastic is at the end of it's usable life span. At least you can buy replacement gears for the Touch & Sews, that's not always true for other machines.
Rodney
Old 10-04-2015, 09:40 AM

I was hoping someone would mention they had an old American made 1950s zigzagger like White, Sears, Kenmore, or even New Home before they where bought up. Were there any other brands early on with zigzaggers? It's easy to forget, but most of the 1950s the straight stitcher was still the most common sewing machine.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

I was hoping someone would mention they had an old American made 1950s zigzagger like White, Sears, Kenmore, or even New Home before they where bought up. Were there any other brands early on with zigzaggers? It's easy to forget, but most of the 1950s the straight stitcher was still the most common sewing machine.
By 1954 most manufacturers were making zigzag machines. Some were even that early making machines with cams for more stitches or built in cam stacks. very few if any that early had a blanket stitch. Blind hem yes, blanket stitch, no. My 1956 Brother Pacesetter even has stretch stitches built in but I can't remember if it has a blanket stitch.

Cari
Old 10-04-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
By 1954 most manufacturers were making zigzag machines. Some were even that early making machines with cams for more stitches or built in cam stacks. very few if any that early had a blanket stitch. Blind hem yes, blanket stitch, no...
I'm almost sure the Elna Supermatic had a blacket sitch early on, it was introduced in 1952 with for the time an advanced cam mechanism. It's the earliest model I know who had double cams making stitch patterns combined with revers stitches. The Singer 401 introduced in 1958 with a similar cam mechanism should in theory have something similar to a real blanket stitch.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-04-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:42 PM

I have that early Bernina 117L machine bought at an estate auction. I was bidding against a reseller and DH told me to keep on bidding. I did and won it. Most I ever paid for machine even the new one back in the late 80s which I no longer have.

Fritz, the 117, is a tank. Beautiful zigzags and will sew through many things including 6 layers of vinyl with ease. I love this color. I don't remember if this is before cleaning him up but I think so. If you can find one, this is the machine to have except it has no blanket stitch. I have repaired horse blankets and saddle pads with this machine.
Attached Thumbnails bernina-auction.jpg  

Last edited by chris_quilts; 10-04-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM

...Elna Supermatic....had double cams making stitch patterns combined with revers stitches. The Singer 401 introduced in 1958 with a similar cam mechanism should in theory have something similar to a real blanket stitch.
How many Singer 401A machines have you seen that have the reverse function from a cam for any stitches?

CD in Oklahoma