Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend? >

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I was hoping someone would mention they had an old American made 1950s zigzagger like White, Sears, Kenmore, or even New Home before they where bought up. Were there any other brands early on with zigzaggers? It's easy to forget, but most of the 1950s the straight stitcher was still the most common sewing machine.
Not having a zigzagger killed both White and National and they were the last competition standing. Singer only lived on long enough to make an American made zigzagger because of its name. And they kept on being behind for the rest of the mechanical era of zewing machines. When they jumped ahead again with computerized machines it was a little too late.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
FYI: ...your photo is a 114 or so the caption says, earlier than mine - I have the 117L.
Oh, I see. I didn't realize the model difference. After seeing one of these in action I fell for it and looked it up on the web. I actually never knew model number at the time. It's all promising info on them, and I still want one :- )

I don't know for how long they were in production, probably introduced in 1938. Bernina managed to introduce their first free arm zigzagger of much lighter build just before the war ended in 1944, and in those years most sewing machine makers lacked machinery. In those years I think Bernina produced machines for Husqvarna, Pfaff, Gritzner, and other brands until they had sorted out production. During the war all factories produced some kind of war oriented necessity and it took a while to get back on track. I imagine Bernina let their model 114 and 117 go, and focused on their new model 125. I'm not sure how they numbered their model, if there are any between 117 and 125? Might be industrial models. I don't know what happened to the 117, but all post war machines I've seen were cast aluminum bodied, more of a shell than the older heavier castings. Bernina is the last sewing machine factory left in Europe. Most of the known brands seems to live on, but they have been bought and sold, merged and dissolved so many times it's hard to keep track. Some claim they still are developed in Europe, but I suspect just as much in the far east these days.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 AM

Thank you to everyone for the comments and insights. Went "machine hunting" yesterday with hubby, but only found straight stitch machines (???). I can usually find a few zigzag machines, but not yesterday. Received a call last night from a friend re: a Singer in the 400 series that she is getting rid of. She said it was a 404 and it takes cams, but I thought the 404 was a straight stitch only machine. Am I wrong? I am guessing she has a 401 or 403, but won't know until I pick it up later this week. The price is right: FREE! It is in a cabinet and has the cams, etc. with it.
Seems like I just can't break out of the Singer family ( 3 Fw's, 201 hand crank, 301, 2 66-1's, 2 15-91's (my favorite go to machine of all time!))... And all of them are straight stitch! I need a zigzag! I have two modern Janome machines with lots of stitches, but there is just something more satisfying about using a vintage machine. Why did I ever give away my 1970 Kenmore....
Thanks again for everyone's help!!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 AM

I looked it up, 404 is suppposed to be a straght stitch, but definitly have the look of the 400 series. If it takes cams, it's most likely a 400-and-something-else, I would go for it :- )
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 AM

I looked it up, 404 is suppposed to be a straght stitch, but definitly have the look of the 400 series. If it takes cams, it's most likely a 400-and-something-else, I would go for it :- )
I agree, for free, I am going for it!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:35 AM

Oh, I see. I didn't realize the model difference. After seeing one of these in action I fell for it and looked it up on the web. I actually never knew model number at the time. It's all promising info on them, and I still want one :- )

I don't know for how long they were in production, probably introduced in 1938. Bernina managed to introduce their first free arm zigzagger of much lighter build just before the war ended in 1944, and in those years most sewing machine makers lacked machinery.
From what I remember of my conversation with the Bernina dealer, I thought she said production of the 117 ended before the war began.

There are some good historical informational sites online about Bernina and their machines. I believe I remember reading that their numbers went from the 117 to the 125 model. I think the numbering guys played drunken darts with random num bers and whichever number was hit and the dart stayed that was the next model number. I think these dart games happened at the annual Christmas bash after the wives were dismissed to go to the parlour and talk about the fashion things of their days. Just my theory anyway and it amuses me.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Banned

Most of the known brands seems to live on, but they have been bought and sold, merged and dissolved so many times it's hard to keep track. Some claim they still are developed in Europe, but I suspect just as much in the far east these days.
Pfaff is a great example of this. Ask a Pfaff dealer and they'll tell you they're still German made(at least the dealer here does.) Actual fact is, they may still be designed by German engineers, but they've been manufactured in China since 2006.
Bernina dealers also don't like to admit that the Bernette machines are badged machines made in China. Bernina doesn't build them.

Cari
Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
...Bernina dealers also don't like to admit that the Bernette machines are badged machines made in China. Bernina doesn't build them...
The Bernettes are something different the 1008 or the computerized models. I have nothing against them, but some of them are on the plastic side. It suppose they have to be produced in Asia to compete in the lower priced ranges. I think the quality control and stable network of employees and developers of Bernina definitly have it's advatages.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Not having a zigzagger killed both White and National and they were the last competition standing. Singer only lived on long enough to make an American made zigzagger because of its name. And they kept on being behind for the rest of the mechanical era of zewing machines.
It's the unfortunate out come of war like conditions in the financial marked. Making a good product, and selling at an honest price just isn't enough. I would love to know more about the secret decisions made both in US, Europe and Asia at the time. A marked can be played by the a few top roleplayers, I'm sure different decisions would have resulted in a different outcome. I don't know White or National, but sometimes the company owners decide to branch out into different areas, sell off the old one, or end the production. .
Old 10-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

First time I had my hands on a 401 I don't think I even had seen a picture of them. Joints in the body were stained by oil and dirt, it didn't look like any thing I've seen. It was actually in very nice condition under the dirt, it cleaed up very well. I've grown used to the look now, but at the time it was an odd looking machine ;- )
The first 401 I had was a 401G from the Garbage... It was covered in doggie doo doo and leaves - On a dare from my sister, I cleaned it up and made it work. I thought even with the dirt off it was ugly. It was totally froze up. I had never seen one that I can remember unless we had them in home ec... I didn't know where to get a manual so I had a time figuring out how to make it work but I did. I made mistakes along the way - I used 3 in 1 oil on the cam stack adjuster thingies - as if it wasn't already frozen up. It wasn't until I cleaned that out with some solvent and got tri-flow that it worked smoothly. It is an ok machine but I would rather use a 403, 503 or a 603. I guess the 401 are kind of cute if you like piggy noses.