Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend? >

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It is an ok machine but I would rather use a 403, 503 or a 603. I guess the 401 are kind of cute if you like piggy noses.
At the time I was used to looking at Bernina 900 Nova, and I had my great aunts Singer 99K. I had sewn on a Husqvarna 21 from the 1950s. These were all old machines to me, in the case of the 99K, very old. The new ones were computerized to a more or lesser degree. The 401 came of as a monstrous thing, I'm still not sure what the idea behind it was; angular and curvy at the same time. Now I don't mind the litte pig nose at all. The 400 series have quite a uniformed look, like they all clearly belong in the same family.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Its not that I don't love them - but they ARE ugly.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:11 PM

Ugly, really? A bit frumpy perhaps, but they're not hideous in the way that flimsy plastic machines are. I state this as fact, not opinion.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Ugly, really? A bit frumpy perhaps, but they're not hideous in the way that flimsy plastic machines are. I state this as fact, not opinion.
This is true.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 PM

The Singer 404 is straight stitch only. I was surprised it was a horizontal bobbin, but mine sews well enough for piecing. I wouldn't try to FMQ with it.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:10 AM

Quick update - since it looked like the 404 was indeed a straight stitch only machine, I called my friend to politely decline the offer of her free machine. She insisted it took cams and went to check the machine to make sure. Turns out, the manual she had said 404, but the machine is actually a 503 A !!! A Rocketeer! For free! I am over the moon, pun intended. Picking it up tomorrow morning!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:39 AM

I agree. Too Jetsonian for me.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
Quick update - since it looked like the 404 was indeed a straight stitch only machine, I called my friend to politely decline the offer of her free machine. She insisted it took cams and went to check the machine to make sure. Turns out, the manual she had said 404, but the machine is actually a 503 A !!! A Rocketeer! For free! I am over the moon, pun intended. Picking it up tomorrow morning!

You will LOVE it, I have several and they are a favorite and absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I love the Jetsons look and I love the cute flip up lid with all of the stitches right there and as I have stated before I am not sightseeing when sewing so having the lid open is no problem. People say the lid breaks, well only if you man handle them... why else would they break. Wear and tear hasn't caused a problem with the lids for me.

The machine is made really well and sews great. It is also very fun to show off to visitors. I always get wow, look at that! Then they start petting her and I show them the flip lid. They love it.

You got a great deal. I am thrilled for you!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I thought so.....

CD in Oklahoma
How rude! Maybe this forum needs a moderator....especially when it is apparent that one member is being antagonistic to another. These kinds of posts can easily scare off newbies that are just trying to learn and join in.
I think I will ask Patrice to view this thread.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
... Maybe this forum needs a moderator........
IMO, I think that Patrice does a great job of monitoring and understanding when folks are being intentionally rude vs unintentionally.