Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool >

Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool

Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool

Old 10-07-2015, 04:25 AM

Default Looking for knitting patterns for thick/thin wool

I have 11 skeins of Pingouin's Filé de Laine, which was discontinuted years ago. I want to use it, but can't find a pattern after Googling the topic and spending 2 hours following leads. Does anyone have a pattern for this yarn? Its "specs" are: J/10 hook for crochet or US 6-7 for knitting, with 15 stitches across and 20 rows in a 4x4 inch sample. It is self-described as "Chunky." Most of the "chunky" patterns I found on-line use a size 11 needle, so I'm a bit flummoxed. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:42 AM

Try knittingboard.com Don't know anything about it but it might help or someone on it might be able to help.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 AM

Thank you very much for the lead; I really didn't expect that anyone would answer. I'll try it right away.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Most of us are quilters but only a few are knitters. Good Luck.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Just look for patterns using chunky yarn that knit to the same gauge.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I make a hood, I like it coz it has a built in scarf. it's made of chunky yarn on size 13 needles.
you can use that size needle with your yarn. it's knitted in a rectangle. if you want specs for the hood, i'll give them to you. good luck.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:50 AM

Alleyoop1, I tried the knittingboard, but it concentrates on loom knitting. I also Googled "knitting groups," and followed several links, but they seemed to be more personal blog than a group membership, such as we have on the Quiltingboard site. And, Maniac, I know that most people on this group are quilters, but I thought that I had seen a thread once that asked what other activities the members were involved in, so I thought that I'd give it a try. I've also tried "thick and thin" yarns, but most of the sites I followed showed hats or cowls. I've also Googled "Pingouin filé de laine," but found only descriptions of the yarn or a lot of patterns for another variety of "something de laine," which is apparently more of a regular plied yarn. I went on eBay and found some extra of the yarn that I have, which I'm going to buy. I had hesitated to start anything before because I didn't want to run out of the yarn. I would still love to see a picture of an actual use of the yarn in a sweater, but I think that I can translate a chunky pattern that wasn't designed for this yarn; I certainly know how to do the math about changing the number of stitches to account for a difference in guage. I'm very grateful for the responses that you've given.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:04 AM

Have you looked into RAVELRY. You could put that yarn into their search engine.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 AM

Quiltbuddy is on to something, if you haven't tried Ravelry yet, you really should...it's a fantastic knitting resource site. It seems like every pattern on (and off) the web ends up there. You can search for patterns by type/style/weight of yarn or search for your yarn, and see how other people have used it. I have often wished there were a comparable site for quilting! (: Have fun!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:01 AM

Try Lion Brand yarn website. They make chuncky yarns and have a ton of free patterns.