Elna Super

Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Default Elna Super

Elna SU Model #62 I seems to be an all metal machine, has cams for the different decorative stitches. All the attachments and all the books. There are 2 instruction books #1 and2 and one titled 'Stretch Elna". It also has a thread stand and some attachment that may be for embroidery. If anyone is familiar with this machine and knows approximately how old it is and what it might be worth, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks for your help. I do have a photo of it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-06-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: pm
Old 11-06-2015, 04:10 PM

SU #62 is the free arm model in the SU series produced from 1971-78 (according to needlebar.org). There are a few plastic gears in there, but it's a tough machine that still can be fixed up if there's anything wrong with it. The plastic gears in the SU series are usually fine even after a lot use and 40 years of age. I think the #62 was the top model with 6 built in stitches and the Elnagraph additionally. Since your friend's come with the Elna Stretch leaflet there's a good chance the most sought after stitch patterns (cams) are among the accessories (a lot of small black plastic disks). Used machines like these are most valuable to the owner who appreciates it. I bought my Supermatic for $35 dollar, it's an older model than the SU, I have seen them go for up to $170. When in nice condition, and it comes with lots of accessories and disks for the Elnagraph (cam mechanism) will make the price go up. The disks in themselves can fetch quite high prices, around $10 a piece. That said, they aren't always easy to sell, at least not top price. The double cams and stretch stitch patterns are the most sought after, and there aren't that many for sale at any given time. The machine and cams are good though, very much up to the requirements of a basic machine in 2015. Price vary a lot from seller to seller, I don't think I would have payed more than bargain price since I already have a couple of machines. You would need to pay quite a lot to get a similar quality new machine, $500 and upwards at least. The closest model in production today might be Bernina 1008, and it only has a few extra stitch patterns, nothing like the Elnagraph. Todays computerized machines have lots more auto features, but the nice ones usually cost quite a bit. I think the SU series are all belt driven, and quieter than the Supermatic. It has automatic buttonholes and lots of fancy stitches. It's a regular lock stitch machine, but the Elnagraph is capable of back stitches and it gives a range of handy stitchpatterns with a form of over lock. Only a few models had at the time. It's a very nice machine that deserves to go to someone who cares for it and know what it is.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-06-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 AM

My 1st purchased machine was the Elna SU62. It took a lot of abuse, traveled to a number of states with me and never gave me a stick of problems. I can't remember if I ever oiled it if its one that needed it and it never, never saw the inside of a repair shop. When I sold it I realized I made a mistake doing so and tried to buy it back at twice the price. New owner wouldn't budge. My loss. Also mine didn't come with all yours came with, only the double cams, 2 books. Bought mine used in 1977-8 for $1,000. When I went looking for another one on Ebay at the time they were going for around $400+ which was over my price range at the time. This was back in 2000 too. I still occasionally look on Ebay for one just to see what they're going for but its been awhile since I last looked. Might take a peek today now that you brought it up.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 AM

My first machine was an Elna Air Electronic in the early 80's. That taught me what good machines Elnas are. It came with a nice selection of cams. When I started collecting in the first few machines I came across an Elna Supermatic for 5.00 and a Elna Special for 20.00. The Supermatic takes cams, the Special is a pink top just like the blue but isn't able to use cams so has just a few basic stitches. I fixed up the Special for my grown up daughter and she loves it. I have since nabbed 2 of the Supers. I figure if she ever gets truly into sewing other than mending she can trade up for the Super and I will still have one for me!

On another Elna specific group I visit, the Super is held in very high regard. It's worth cleaning up and holding onto!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 AM

The older Elna machines are workhorses and keepers. I have two Air Electronics which work the same as the 62. Hubby bought the first one ( paid a good price for it) back in the 70's.) I recently found another one thinking it would be good for parts, but it works as well as the first. My repairman told me to "Never part with either of them"as they are metal ( yes, heavy) and were made with Swiss mechanical expertise. A friend was given a Jubilee model, and after cleaning it up, she says she loves it. Treat it well and it will last many more years.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:46 PM

I purchased my 62C in 1974. It has sewn anything I asked of it from silk organza wedding dresses to leather belts. That being said, it does not piece or quilt well, but for everything else, it's the go to machine of my 13 or so. The blue paint is worn, but other than that, it's in perfect condition.