Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing >

Quilt Backing

Quilt Backing

Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 PM

Default Quilt Backing

What type of fabric should I use for quilt backing and where should I get it?

I have pieced normal quilting cotton and used 108" quilting fabric. Piecing quilting cotton can be time consuming and seems more expensive, while the 108" fabrics are harder for me to find. I don't have a quilt shop near where I live so I have to buy online.

I have heard muslin is popular for backing. Fat Quarter Shop and Fabric.com are the places I usually purchase from. Fat Quarter Shop doesn't always have a large selection of backing fabric, and their muslin seems pricey.

I have had many problems with Fabric.com and I do not want to purchase from them anymore. Fabrics not as described, fabrics I purchased before then purchased again when I needed more were not the same color (and these were Michael Miller fabrics!!!), and some fabrics were cut slightly smaller than what I had ordered.

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Try Whittle's. They don't have a huge selection by the prices and service are great
Old 12-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Sorry you had problems with them. One thing, however, don't blame the store for re ordered fabric not matching. It is common for printed fabric to vary a bit bolt to bolt, especially if the print was popular and they had a second run. It's best to order all fabric for a project in a single cut. Check out Connecting Threads for backing fabric. Their prices are quite reasonable.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:21 PM

I guess it depends on the size of the quilt you are making. Big quilt, definitely wide back. My favorite thing to do is to add extra blocks from the front to the back in a vertical column, which I never put in the center. The backs are coordinating cotton like the front. But then, I make lap size only 48 - 54 wide
Old 12-23-2015, 03:22 PM

I love Fabric.com although I will admit since Amazon took over things have changed (and not in a good way) I don't know what problems you have had with them, but I would suggest calling their customer service. I have had a couple of problems and they were very nice and helpful One time I got the wrong fabric. They replaced it free of charge and told me to keep the incorrect fabric.. which was awesome.

I never heard of Whittles.. I will have to check them out

Have you looked at Missouri Star? They don't have the selection that Fabric.com does but they have wide backing.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM

check out Marshall Dry Goods. http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/
Old 12-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Try Homespun Hearth and Hancocks of Paducah which is diff from just Hancocks...Large selections and great prices when they run sales. I also order thru Missouri Star Quilt Co, Keepsake and Connecting Threads...
Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Banned

I use wide muslin on the back of most of my large quilts. I buy it from Walmart usually, sometimes from JoAnns, but I've found large amounts of good muslin several times at thrift stores. With the prices of good cotton these days I can't see spending a lot of money on the back of the quilt that won't usually be seen anyway.

Cari
Old 12-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Depends on how long you want your quilts to last.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:09 PM

Thank you all for responding! Hancocks of Paducah and Marshall Dry Goods seem like good places.