Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need help with recipe on baking turkey breast portion in crockpot, using a bag or not >

Need help with recipe on baking turkey breast portion in crockpot, using a bag or not

Need help with recipe on baking turkey breast portion in crockpot, using a bag or not

Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Default Need help with recipe on baking turkey breast portion in crockpot, using a bag or not

I need a recipe for cooking a turkey breast portion in a crockpot. I checked the internet but there are so many and it is overwhelming. Does anyone have a good recipe they might share? I would appreciate it so much. Also, do you use the special bag for the turkey portion that is used for cooking other meats, etc. The portion is 1 to 2 lbs. and is not frozen. Thank
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM

I don't have a recipe, but I would just salt can pepper and some chicken broth in the bottom of the crock to keep it all moist. Low heat for several hours.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM

I would do like mike'sgirl. I like the crockpot bags for ease of cleanup If you can find it, there is a turkey rub that would give it a nice flavor too
Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
I need a recipe for cooking a turkey breast portion in a crockpot. I checked the internet but there are so many and it is overwhelming. Does anyone have a good recipe they might share? I would appreciate it so much. Also, do you use the special bag for the turkey portion that is used for cooking other meats, etc. The portion is 1 to 2 lbs. and is not frozen. Thank
I always make my turkey breasts in the crockpot. Sometime I just add a little broth, and cook on low for 8 hours or so. I do take foil and put around the edges to keep from overcooking those edges. Always turned out moist.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Depending on your slow cooker, you dont want to cook on warm/low, what every the lowest setting on said slow cooker. Each type is different, and your manual should tell you what the temps are per each setting. For a slow cooker, and just about every raw meat, especially poulty, you want to keep above 170-180F, 200F to be safer while your cooking.

In english:
For less than two pounds, you can usually dry out, over cook or undercook poultry. Keep it simple, and you temperatures right, and get a meat thermometer.

Try this;

1.whole frozen turkey breast "Thawed in the refrigerator 1-3 days"

2.Line the bottom of you slow cooker with raw and cleaned vegetables "like, cut/split taters, onions" with a can of chicken broth or 8oz/one cup water.

3.Wash the thawed turkey breast with cold water, dry with paper towels.

4.Rub turkey breast with real butter or regular olive oil(not Virgin,extra virgin, it will burn".

5.In small bowl mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, or just cheat and using pre-blended Italian or Poulty seasoning, just watch your salt, pre-blends can have salt already in them.

6. Place turkey in slow cooker, ontop of the taters, and then line the slow cooker with carrots or other vegs so that you have something bettween the turkey and slow cooker walls. throw a small piece of aluminum foil ontop of the bird, just big enough to cover the breast.

7.Id say to cook a 2lbs less bird, put on med or low(low is not the same as "warm") cook for 2-3 hours, check after the first two hours, check with meat thermometer, to get you 180F internal temp, pull the breast out of the slow clooker, put in a heavy plate, cover the whole bird, or the top and sides with tin foil and let rest/sit for a good 30mins to and hour before you dig in.

Last edited by ErgoTiger; 01-02-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:56 AM

My Mom used those cooking bags for a whole chickens and smaller turkey's.as well as beef and pork roasts She would put them in the micro-wave -they were always very moist and delicious. Cooks a lot faster then slow cookers or the oven. There are time codes on the box the bags come in.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I don't have a recipe, but I would just salt can pepper and some chicken broth in the bottom of the crock to keep it all moist. Low heat for several hours.
I do this too. Only thing different is if you don't want the bottom to brown too much (I've heard this can happen), I just crunched up a few "balls" of aluminum foil and place on the bottom of the crockpot then place the turkey on top. Cook for about 6 hours and it turns out moist and perfect. I also use a little celery salt.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:12 AM

My husband does this all the time. Put a layer of old vegetables on the bottom (celery, onions, whatever you have in the crisper. He even did cabbage once.) Put a little water or broth on the veggies, maybe 1 cup? Then he puts some thyme and salt and pepper on the turkey, with a meat thermometer and cooks it on high for an hour, then turns it down to low until the temp is what you want. (I know it's blasphemy, but WE never go as high as 180.) After taking it out of the cooker, we always let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
I put the turkey breast in a crockpot and add some water and sprinkle dry onion soup mix and cook till done...this is a great tasting turkey and smells great....yummy.....
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 PM

Check 'southernplate.com' for Slow Cooker Turkey Breast from 2013. I have used this many times & it always comes out moist & tasty. I purchased 2 extra turkey breasts over the holidays so I can do this more.