Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which new machine to buy. >

which new machine to buy.

which new machine to buy.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:08 PM

I went through this in November. First, determine what features you can't live without. Then determine which manufacturers machines fit your criteria. Read online reviews and then go to dealers and try the machines out. When you try machines out, take multiple samples with you to sew on. If free motion quilting is important to you, take quilt sandwiches with you. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Had a few passed to me including a really nice 1980's era bernina that I inherited from my grandmother. It was having some issues so I brought it in to be serviced only to find out that it won't last long and the gears are really worn out. I was advised not to put a lot of money into it when it finally goes and to move on.
This sounds really fishy to me. Are you sure that guy isn't trying to get your Bernina away from you? Those machines were made to last forever. I am still using my 830 model from the 1970's. They also hold their value like crazy... What model is it?

I went through THREE motors on another 830 I had and sewed on every day for years. Nothing ever "wore out" in the gears. Maybe you should take that machine in for a second opinion, elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:02 PM

I'm right there with sewbizgirl, something doesn't smell quite right.... Bernina is one of the very few machines that is still all metal inside where it counts, including the gears. There are a few that are exceptions at the very low end, but they are few... I'd take it elsewhere for another opinion. It's unfortunate, but a fact that there are folks out there looking to take advantage of anyone they can... get your machine for little or nothing and sell you a profitable replacement and then sell your Bernina for a healthy profit as well... I hope this isn't the case, but I've been burned enough to be very wary.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 PM

I have seen a few Berninas at the shop that have just been worn out -- maybe 4 in the past 6 years. Not very many, but it does happen. The lint build-up in the gears and rack will wear a machine out. Usually happens when a machine is used hard, and hasn't come in for regular service or deep clean, in a period of several years.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 PM

I would recommend looking at your local machine shop. See what machines they sell and importantly service. My local doesn't service all machines . I go 20 miles further on for one of my machines.
Then after looking at the shop go to a show and look at those makes of machines. Now you have a good look don't forget to try them out before buying.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 AM

I don't own a Brother but two of my quilting buddies do and they are always talking about their Dreamweaver and what is can do. the one thing they have mentioned is sewing with the laser to make flying geese and half square triangles!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:23 AM

Could you open it up and look at the gears yourself? And then take pictures? You might be able to see something, plus pictures could be useful in contacting folks who own or work with older machines.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The reason the older Berninas have such a great stitch is because of the oscillating hook system. When you get up to the 7 and 8 Series machines, they have a whole new hook system. The Bernina 570 has the oscillating hook and comes with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator). That's the machine I would get if I could afford it.
Someone told me this before. They also told me the older the machine the harder it is to get parts.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
This sounds really fishy to me. Are you sure that guy isn't trying to get your Bernina away from you? Those machines were made to last forever. I am still using my 830 model from the 1970's. They also hold their value like crazy... What model is it?

I went through THREE motors on another 830 I had and sewed on every day for years. Nothing ever "wore out" in the gears. Maybe you should take that machine in for a second opinion, elsewhere.
I have a 1230. He said it would last maybe 2 years in the condition it is in.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
I'm right there with sewbizgirl, something doesn't smell quite right.... Bernina is one of the very few machines that is still all metal inside where it counts, including the gears. There are a few that are exceptions at the very low end, but they are few... I'd take it elsewhere for another opinion. It's unfortunate, but a fact that there are folks out there looking to take advantage of anyone they can... get your machine for little or nothing and sell you a profitable replacement and then sell your Bernina for a healthy profit as well... I hope this isn't the case, but I've been burned enough to be very wary.
Well no matter what I decide I'm not selling this one anyhow. He didn't offer to buy it, but it did occur to me that I was hearing this from someone at a Bernina dealer that may want to sell me a new machine.