Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Somebody Push Me! >

Somebody Push Me!

Somebody Push Me!

Old 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM

you need to do something small - sort of an immediate gratification thing. Maybe make one block of your favorite pattern and put it on the outside of a tote bag - even a purchased one if you need to. Or put it on a pillow front. Just looking at something you made quickly might get you in the mood. Looking at a large project can sometimes be overwhelming - the cutting, pressing, sewing, quilting etc. What part of the process do you really like? Maybe find a way to just do that - if sewing, then do something with precuts, if quilting, then do something with a panel. The trick is to just do something and do something that can be finished fairly quickly.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 PM

I know what you mean. That is why I joined the 12-4-12 challenge at one of my guilds. You have to finish 11 or 12 projects for the year and then you get a $25 gift certificate for one of the LQSs around.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:18 PM

Because of health issues, I have not sewn in 2.5 years, but last night, an old friend called me and gave me one of her Bernina machines, a Tiffany lamp, and a bunch of fabric!!I have to drive to her old home and get the articles, but I will be happy to do that! Now, maybe the bug will bite again. Wish he luck.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

OK, here goes: Don't you have any UFO's to finish? Don't be a slackard, like the character in Back to the Future. I'm motivated, but more so because I've had a tough year medically, having been in severe pain from my right shoulder, of course. I had surgery to repair the torn rotator cuff 18 months before, however the pain returned; then when I opted to have the shoulder replaced (a surgery I definitely do not regret, it's nice to not have all that pain, plus I've regained almost 99% of mobility) the surgeon told me that I had not only torn out the repair, but the remaining rotator cuff, so I didn't have one. I recovered from the surgery, then took a series of falls in Aug. and Oct. - falling the day after I got out of rehab, so it was back to the hospital and rehab. I was discharged Nov. 1 and now I'm doing great, walking every day, and the best part is I wake up with energy and spend that energy on all the UFO's that accumulated while I couldn't quilt. I'm hoping that 2016 will be a wonderful year, with lots of UFO's finished.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all of the encouragement and real pushing. I really wanted to show a picture as suggested, but after my last crash (3 in a year and a half) Jim had not put the Kodak program back in. I did get the blocks out and pressed them. I just have to lay them out on the bed to see which blocks should be next to each other.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:49 AM

We need a 'Fitbit' specially for sewing and quilting! I love exercise but lack the motivation. I received a Fitbit for Christmas and have been astounding myself with what I've been doing. I have a constant reminder on my wrist of what I need to do to achieve my targets for the day. So........ we'll call it a 'QuiltBit' and it will record the following daily statistics: How many hours spent quilting, how many blocks completed, money spent on fabrics and quilting accessories and heart rate when we make a boo boo. AND we'll get badges for finished tops and completed quilts!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:31 AM

I like to make small items for instant gratification when I don't feel like working on a quilt project. The other day I bought a half yard of pretty chiffon and make myself a scarf doing a simple rolled hem on the edges. It took me a couple of hours and I love the scarf. No deadlines here, I try to work on stuff that I like and will be fun to make.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Start with small projects like table runner or even pot holders, pillow cases. That's what usually gets me going. When I step outside the quilting box it motivates me.
Terrytunes
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I worked on it today! Well, sort of....I laid all the blocks out on the bed and marked where everyone would be. Hoping to sew some of them together tomorrow. My deadline to get the top done is Feb. 8th.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Well, thanks for the push. I went and got out a UFO that has been sitting for some time. Someone called it Zen. Little squares inside a larger rectangle. I think I will make a deadline of my birthday (Feb 8) to at least get the top done.

Feeling good now.
I'll be watching for your progress report about Feb. 14th when I get back to my machine after a trip!