Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Intermediate Wheeler Wilson W9 bobbin case fix >

Intermediate Wheeler Wilson W9 bobbin case fix

Intermediate Wheeler Wilson W9 bobbin case fix

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 AM

Default Intermediate Wheeler Wilson W9 bobbin case fix

I will spare you the tales about my addiction to 14 other machines (and counting). This is about a Wheeler Wilson W9 with the pre-D9 model 8-style bobbin case.

What, you say? Intermediate W9? No, it is not a Singer. And it is not a parts machine. Apparently the early W9's used the model 8 style bobbin case and a swinging "gate" that holds the bobbin case in place. I got this machine from my parents, who said it was my great grandmother's machine. And alas! It had no bobbin case.

I tried a WW bobbin by itself. No go, the top thread wrapped around the bobbin. I tried feeding thread through the hook race, a la a thread stand--no go. I bought a bobbin case off eBay for too much money, only to realize it was for a later D-9 machine and didn't fit. But I did have two bobbins.

After searching the web for weeks, I found pictures of the intermediate machine and the model 8 style bobbin case. It looked a lot like a half sphere with the top cut off and a tension arm added. There are NONE of these on eBay--trust me, I've watched for six months. And then, I had an awful Grinchy idea: If I don't have a bobbin case, I'll make one instead.

Long story short: I cut the handle off a plastic teaspoon, ground it down to size, drilled and sanded it narrow enough, and drilled a tiny hole for the bobbin thread. After a lot of cut-and-try and fiddling with the top tension, I added two small squares of felt INSIDE the case for bobbin tension. Two hours later...the old WW is stitching again, with a 50-cent teaspoon for a bobbin case.

Since I have haunted quiltingboard (among others) in search of a solution, I thought someone might appreciate the easy fix--and even better, the resurrection of this quiet, smooth old machine.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:38 AM

Oh! I forgot. I have also read frequently that this machine takes "non-standard" needles, I.e., you can't use the ubiquitous 15x1 needle in it. There was one needle in the machine, and the greatest difference was the shaft diameter. I put a 15x1 needle in a vise and filed it down, and it looped and caught the hook perfectly. So, I am happy to say I can still use the high quality Schmetz and Singer needles I do with my other machines.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Welcome aboard! Great name for this group.
Pictures?
If you click the third icon from the left it will lead you the rest of the way.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Welcome to the QB. Well done, very creative repairs. I'd enjoy seeing pictures of your #9. I'm familiar with your bobbin case and it is indeed very difficult to find without buying a complete new machine.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-17-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:38 PM

I would if I can figure out how to get them from my iPhone to the site. It really just looks like a tension dial, except the felt is between the "hole" and the bobbin proper.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Last edited by Addiction; 01-17-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Picture needs to be resized.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:59 PM

Default Wheeler Wilson W9 bobbin case pic

Let's see if this works for adding an attachment. If it does I may post on the Help page because others need help posting from an iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM

I posted a new thread with a picture once I figured out how to upload a picture directly from my iPhone. I also wrote out the instructions on the QB Help Center page.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM

On my iphone, the picture appears right side up. On my kindle, the picture appears rotated 90 degrees to the left.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 AM

Necessity is the mother of invention again! Well done with coming up with a solution!