Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My question on pp >

My question on pp

My question on pp

Old 02-12-2016, 05:53 AM

Default My question on pp

I don't do much, so each time is like the first time....bought a pattern called grandmothers jumping jacks...thinking..good way to use up scraps......ugh pp! Only 5 pieces each block, ok. Printed out a few, just to reintroduce myself to process...dug out pp supplies, woke up those brain cells...have carol doaks DVD+ books, but didn't want to waste the time reading. First one - ok, second one, ehh, then I got confused....cutting fabric from wrong side, yadda, yadda!

my question: when sewing piece to piece, do you start and stop at sewing lines or just beyond dotted line (which would be , in piecing, the end of fabric).....

another question- if your doing multiple blocks, same design, do you chain piece as in regular patchwork, or do you complete each block..then begin another?

then I read on some tute...if shapes are odd shaped, as opposed to recs,sqs,trngls, take as many as needed paper patterns and cut those into templates for each piece needed, allowing for a generous seam allowance, which would be cut accurately after sewing....phew! Maybe I should just bag scraps and get rid of them!
thanks for reading my venting.....
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 AM

I feel your pain! I don't do enough or often enough for it to come natural so it's a struggle each time.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 AM

lol, I don't think you enjoy paper piecing ;-) The PP that I do is usually one of a kind blocks so chain piecing is out of the question. I do take a couple of stitches beyond.

edited to say, I had to force myself to overcome the same things you are feeling now. I'm glad I did. The outcome is worth it. Don't give up. It will come easier to you.

Last edited by DebraK; 02-12-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Debra. You don't seem to be enjoying it. You can't do chain stitching. What appeals to me is the intricate patterns you can make that is easier to do PP then traditional piecing.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

You stated you have the Carol Doak books, instructions;but didn't want to waste time... It maybe a better use of your time to review the information, as apposed to spending time being frustrated, confused and having to start over. Chain piecing is not a method for paper piecing. Yes, we stitch a few stitches beyond the lines. Spend a little time refreshing with the Carol information then go back, I bet you will have much better results,with much less frustration. Carol is a great teacher and explains the process very well.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 AM

I also take a couple stitches beyond the line like DebraK. I'm trying to pump myself up to get going on some PP NY Beauty blocks that need to be done for one of my monthly groups. It seems to go ok once I get going.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
You stated you have the Carol Doak books, instructions;but didn't want to waste time... It maybe a better use of your time to review the information, as apposed to spending time being frustrated, confused and having to start over. Chain piecing is not a method for paper piecing. Yes, we stitch a few stitches beyond the lines. Spend a little time refreshing with the Carol information then go back, I bet you will have much better results,with much less frustration. Carol is a great teacher and explains the process very well.
Yes, of course, you are correct about refreshing my memory via doaks DVD/book, and I shall do that today!
i will do this quilt, as I have settled down, and gone thru it in my mind, and with hints from here...a challenge to meet and beat! And maybe in the process, learn to "like" pp a bit more. I'll send along some pics of a few of the blocks when I get that far. Thanks
Old 02-12-2016, 07:55 AM

I like doing multiples at one time, even if they are not the same (like 5 different 8 point star blocks together). I LOVE the thread cutter on my new Juki for PP. With my old machine I would chain them, and then cut the threads to separate them. Since most of the seams don't go all the way to the edge, that was tedious.

This was doing 18 roses at one time - each a different color

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Most of my PP has been with Judy Niemeyer patterns. She gives directions for cutting the patches in advance, so I can have them all lined up for chain piecing. Yes, the threads between pieces are longer than for regular chain piecing, but it works for me.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I say watch Carol Doak video since you have it. You oversize the fabric and trim to 1/4" before sewing the next fabric so you have a 1/4" seam. I don't see how anyone would want to do this without the add a quarter ruler. It's inexpensive and saves so much time. It won't slip from the seam line.