Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Planning a road trip - Where to stop? >

Planning a road trip - Where to stop?

Planning a road trip - Where to stop?

Old 02-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Default Planning a road trip - Where to stop?

My DH and I will be driving from the UP of Michigan, down 75 to Knoxville, East to Charleston and then to Daytona. It covers lots of miles, so I would like some suggestions of quilt shops to stop at. We like to keep the shops somewhat close to the highway. We will be spending the night in Knoxville and a couple days in the Charleston area before heading to Daytona. Do you know of any "must" stop at shops? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:38 PM

I have never been there but I hear there is a great Shop in Grayling I think called the ice house that has lots of quilting stuff. I just checked the website and looks like they may be closing might want to call ahead or check it out online. I have heard wonderful things about it but have not traveled over there

Last edited by Up North; 02-26-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I have never been there but I hear there is a great Shop in Grayling I think called the ice house that has lots of quilting stuff.
The Ice House has been closed for a while. It was a nice shop. there is another one in Grayling now that is nice.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:53 PM

Thanks Sophie2 I was always going to go there in the summer just never made it and it was right off I75
Old 02-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Thanks Sophie2 I was always going to go there in the summer just never made it and it was right off I75
UpNorth, I don't remember the name of the shop that is now in Grayling. It is right downtown - just a couple blocks from where the Ice House was. Nice place to stretch your legs!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:22 PM

I believe I read about an Internet site or app that one
can plot your trip like a GPS for quilt shops. Another is Quilters Travel Companion
Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 PM

I have the Quilters Travel Companion. I was just looking for suggestions from people who had been to shops that they really liked. Love using the Quilters Travel Companion, but sometimes what looks good on paper isn't so good in person. Actually, I can narrow my search a bit as I have been to most of the shops on the way from the UP to Ohio. Southern Ohio shops won't be open as we begin the Ohio portion of our trip. Would be interested in shops from Knoxville to Charleston, SC and then Charleston to Daytona, FL. Thanks
Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Once you get to Daytona take 92 southwest to Deland. The Quilt Shop of Deland is owned by teacher and fabric/pattern designer Judy Hansen. Great shop, always lots going on, they'll do on the spot demos, great selection. Deland is a wonderful town, great shops, eateries, Stetson University and the Stetson Mansion. http://www.quiltshopofdeland.com/tha...c940e10fb1483f
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 PM

There are quit a few shops in Knoxville. Gina's, Midsouth Sewing, Mammaw's, Best Machines. There are a few in North Knoxville also. Gaitlinburg is an hour away and the cherry pit and mountain quilts by sue are there. If you are going to be in the area March 16-19 there is a quilt show in Pigeon Forge (near Gatlinburg). Enjoy. Our weather right now is the upper 50s, low 60s so great for shopping.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:47 AM

I just looked up the dizzy diva in Knoxville
looks like close to 75
hoping to stop there myself sometime when we go to Florida
also fabric shack in Waynesville ohio is great
Gale

Last edited by grma33; 02-27-2016 at 02:53 AM.