Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilter, New Crown Jewel w/Pearl Frame thread ? >

New Quilter, New Crown Jewel w/Pearl Frame thread ?

New Quilter, New Crown Jewel w/Pearl Frame thread ?

Old 03-19-2016, 04:25 AM

Default New Quilter, New Crown Jewel w/Pearl Frame thread ?

Hi, I am new to the board an also machine quilting. I purchased a new Crown Jewel with Pearl Frame yesterday, will get it next week. I wanted to order thread and have it here. I know machines are sensitive to some threads, I have 2 babylocks 6 needles and they only like Maderia. The lady told me to use cotton thread on top and M bobbin cotton thread. I was looking for prewound bobbins but I do not have to use that, I have read a few post where some use poly. I was looking at the Superior website and found the large cotton cones, but what should I purchase for the bobbins and should I just wind them myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Southern California. When I bought my new Bernina 1530 new back in the late 90's, I was told to use Mettler Silk wrapped thread but I recently tried Aurifil and I enjoy using that thread. Hope that someone can give you better advice.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

grannyj~ I have a machine similar to yours, and I use a same thread in both top and bottom. Sometimes different colors. I wind my own bobbins too. For threads, I have used Mettler, Signature, Conn. Threads cottons, Aurifil. Had good success with all. Have found that the machine doesn't like Presencia. The various threads from Superior offer you lots of weights and cotton, poly, etc.
Hope you find a few threads that work well for you!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 AM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Other items?

I had found the Conn Threads. Are there any other items I need to purchase and have when the machine comes. This is all so very new to me. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
grannyj~ I have a machine similar to yours, and I use a same thread in both top and bottom. Sometimes different colors. I wind my own bobbins too. For threads, I have used Mettler, Signature, Conn. Threads cottons, Aurifil. Had good success with all. Have found that the machine doesn't like Presencia. The various threads from Superior offer you lots of weights and cotton, poly, etc.
Hope you find a few threads that work well for you!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Please don't be afraid of using poly threads--I much prefer Superior Threads So Fine #50--it's a strong thread, works well even with intense quilting patterns. I always buy in cones and can get lots of quilting (and quilts) from each. I also use M bobbins--I wind my own on a separate bobbin winder but friends really like the Magna-Glide bobbins for prewounds and also Superior sells pre-wounds too.

I also use my straight edge ruler and a DeLoa Jones small boomarang ruler often. I also really like the F & P ceramic chalk pencil to mark with. Have fun with your new machine!

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 03-19-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 PM

I use Connecting Threads polyester cones for quilting. It works well. If your machine has a bobbin winder, you can use it to wind your own bobbins. I have never used a pre-wound bobbin, so can't comment on them.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Welcome, from North Carolina! On my Juki F600, I typically use Mettler polyester thread and get good results ... however, I don't have a mid or long arm machine so they may "like" something different.