Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your threads and bobbins? >

How do you store your threads and bobbins?

How do you store your threads and bobbins?

Old 03-25-2016, 04:11 AM

Default How do you store your threads and bobbins?

I'm sorting out my threads, plus bobbins for 3 machines, and am looking for ideas on how to store them preferably keeping bobbins with the thread they have on them, without spending money on gadgets for doing that. Also, what do you store them in and how do you categorise - colour? type of thread? I need inspiration.

Last edited by annesthreads; 03-25-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:25 AM

I store my threads in a drawer with the machine I just use a bobbin holder to store bobbins with thread on them. I also store the empty ones in the plastic box they came in
Old 03-25-2016, 05:34 AM

I keep my threads in alex drawer units (from ikea) beside the machine they will be used in. The threads for quilting in one unit and the rayon and cotton embroidery threads in another. In each unit I have a few of those bobbin holder rings with a label (cotton-50, rayon-40). Not perfectly matched but it works for me.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:40 AM

I like to keep thread and bobbin together because I seem to have thread colours that are too similar to discern the difference on a bobbin. I bought an organizer box for fishing tackle, but am sure there are others that would do the same thing. I store the thread and bobbin together in each section and wrap the bobbins with hair ties to keep the thread on them.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-194772.jpe  
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

My thread is in divided boxes with each bobbin right next to the spool. I have about six of these boxes with machine thread, hand quilting thread and machine applique thread. The names of the colors are taped inside each divider.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4993.jpg  

Last edited by Boston1954; 03-25-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I think I have tried every gadget & tip out there, but this works best for me. I got a bunch of tiny zip bags at the dollar store. I put the spool and bobbins in the bag & close. I have 3 boxes one for cool colors, one for warm and one for neutrals. I just toss the bag in the appropriate box. Might not be the prettiest or most organized, but the bag keeps the thread and bobbin together, keeps dust off and keeps the tails contained.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:33 AM

For my embroidery threads (FUFU now Floriana) I organize them by their color chart on my pegboards. I also printed the color # below each hook so I know where they go back. My quilting threads (mostly Connecting Threads) are organized by like colors on their pegboards, the larger spools are on a separate pegboard. My Aurifil and odd brands are in a drawer near the frame. My serger threads are above my sergers (2) and my regular threads are organized by colors on pegboards above the 2 sewing machines. All have 36 x 36 tee towels over them to keep the dust off. I keep the filled bobbins on the peg hook under the spool they go with.

For my quilting bobbins I'll use up the leftover threads on the bobbins for when I baste the quilt sandwich so I can eventually have my bobbin back. Mostly I use the bobbins with little thread left on them for this procedure.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM

I don't tend to have a lot of thread. My small amount go in see through cases( pencil cases but bigger) for the spools of threads. My bobbin thread stays in my Bernina wardrobe.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Those round flexible donut-like bobbin storage units ARE worth the price! You can see what you have, they won't spill if knocked over, and bobbins fit snugly enough not to unwind.
My mother has a wall with dowel posts where she stores the bobbin under the spool from which it was filled. You need lots more bobbins this way, and need to dust occasionally, plus the possibility of fading of rarely used colors. It surely does make it easy to find the right color for dressmaking.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I bought a thread organizer and dropped it when I got home. $12.00 at JoANn's. Glued it back together then went out and bought like this one. Cheaper and holds more.
Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
I like to keep thread and bobbin together because I seem to have thread colours that are too similar to discern the difference on a bobbin. I bought an organizer box for fishing tackle, but am sure there are others that would do the same thing. I store the thread and bobbin together in each section and wrap the bobbins with hair ties to keep the thread on them.