Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Fabric Storage Dilemma >

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 AM

Wrap your fabric around a large ruler. I use a 7 x 18" ruler. Wrap around the 7" direction. Slide the ruler halfway out of the wrap and fold the fabric over so that you have a rectangle. (I hope that makes sense.) I can't remember where I learned this. When the fabric is stacked on the shelf you can see the folded end. When you want to pull one out, slide a large ruler under the chosen fabric and a ruler above the fabric. Pull your fabric out of the stack--sort of like a magician pulling a tablecloth from under dishes on a table. The rest of the stack will stay neat and when you put the fabric away you can put it at the top of the stack. The wrapping method works for any size pieces of fabric. If you have small pieces like fat quarters, use a smaller ruler.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:46 AM

I put each project in the 12" X 12" plastic storage containers from the craft store. Those have the pattern and all the fabrics in them. The rest of the fabrics are loosely grouped by categories (cats, kids, pastels, brights). I think you have to experiment a bit to find your own style.)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:02 AM

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks for starting it!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Love the 12x12" boxes for projects. You can put the complete quilt top and pattern and a note in the box. I took a large kingsize sheet and it fit in the box. I also tried a large kingsize thermal blanket and it fit. That shows how much room you can get into. OOps! correction the scrapbook boxes I have are 14x 14x3". Just FYI. but they're still great for projects. You can also use them as light boxes. Just throw an led into it and trace on top.
Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I put each project in the 12" X 12" plastic storage containers from the craft store. Those have the pattern and all the fabrics in them. The rest of the fabrics are loosely grouped by categories (cats, kids, pastels, brights). I think you have to experiment a bit to find your own style.)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Keep your eyes open for when Michaels has their sales on the boxes. you can usually get them @ 3/$10.00
Old 04-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Auj

Thank you for all the great ideas. I have a question. Where can I find comic book boards?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 AM

I ordered comic book boards from Amazon.com.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 AM

First, I ran out of room in my quilting room, so I have my fabric stored in another room..5 Ikea Billy bookcases with double doors. It's all ruler folded and sorted by color...very neat and clean.
When I"m auditioning for a quilt, I"ll bring in several fabrics at a time and I keep them neatly stacked off on a side table in my quilting room...not sorted by color but kept neatly folded. After that side table begins to groan with the weight of the auditioning fabric, I have a rolling audio visual cart I bought years ago. I bring it in and load it up sorting by color, as I go and then roll it into the next room to refile the fabric. And then, I do it all over again.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM

I have ruler wrapped/folded most of the fabric with the larger yardage >3 yds just being ruler wrapped and flat stacked. My room is smaller so the wrap/fold fabric is in there and the flat stacked are in another area. I have a long office table that I pull out when I know that I have a couple of weeks to create (audition, cut, sew) that goes in the guest room. I can pull, audition, and then put back. DH was gone for 11 days recently and I played with fabric for 7 of those days. The upstairs loft, sewing room and guest BR look as though a F4 tornado blew through it. He's home now but I showed him the four things going to LAQ, 12 scrappy blocks and strips of the the same fabrics that will go on the back vertically of that scrappy quilt. two pillowcase kits cut for upcoming birthdays, diapers to be made into burp cloths and finally three other small projects kitted up. In a few days after more cutting and kitting, I will reign it all back in. In a few months, it is repeat, repeat, repeat.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

On a bright side for "out of order" fabrics - sometimes one spots combinations in the "disarray" that look great!