Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Fabric Storage Dilemma >

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Old 04-17-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Auj View Post
Thank you for all the great ideas. I have a question. Where can I find comic book boards?
I buy mine on ebay. #361257253722 I pay $17.34 including shipping and no tax for 100 boards. Not sure of the price in stores that carry them, but that comes out to 34 cents each- and no gas or trips to the store.
Actually, I buy Magazine Boards 8 1/2 x11, not Comic Book boards which are only 7 x 10. C/B boards cost around $12.75 including shipping, but I prefer the size and weight of the magazine boards.

Last edited by Just Jan; 04-17-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I forgot to mention ... for pieces like just a yard or so, I use an old rotary cutter to cut the comic book boards in half to 4 1/4 x 11 (saves space & money.) Another tip is I buy bobby pins at the dollar store to hold the end of the fabric to the boards.
I love those ideas!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:56 AM

I pre-washed all of mine and got empty bolt rolls from JoAnns and put them on shelves. If they were 3 yds or smaller I purchased comic book boards and rolled the fabric on those and sorted by color and put in plastic bins. Works great for me. Pre-cuts are in a old sewing basket.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 AM

I have (most of) mine on comic boards on shelving. For fabrics that are larger amounts (like bolts), I have them folded and on the top shelves of my five 84x48x18 chrome shelving units. I have my fabrics sorted by color/type. My batiks are separate from other fabrics. I have "kiddie" type fabrics together, florals together, landscaping (or whatever you call it) fabrics together, plaids or homespun fabrics together....
Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 AM

Me too; I'm TERRIBLE with the housekeeping and tidying. Guess that gene didn't stick with me.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:50 AM

I had a wired system of shelves installed in my walk-in closet creating my own private quilt shop. I had everything folded in 1/2 yard increments so that I could tell at a glance how much of each fabric I had. I had hoped I would find 'shopping' for fabrics I wanted to use in a project with ease without needing to always buy new. But I found that it wasn't working well for me. My piles continued to grow as I continued to purchase. So I decided to change up my system. First I pulled out all the focus fabrics and then started pulling from the rest those fabrics that play well together with the focus. I used selvage strips to hold them together. Now when I find a pattern I want to use I simply go to my groupings and am off and running. So far it's working. Hope this helps you at least a little bit.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mirish2 View Post
Wrap your fabric around a large ruler. I use a 7 x 18" ruler. Wrap around the 7" direction. Slide the ruler halfway out of the wrap and fold the fabric over so that you have a rectangle. (I hope that makes sense.) I can't remember where I learned this. When the fabric is stacked on the shelf you can see the folded end. When you want to pull one out, slide a large ruler under the chosen fabric and a ruler above the fabric. Pull your fabric out of the stack--sort of like a magician pulling a tablecloth from under dishes on a table. The rest of the stack will stay neat and when you put the fabric away you can put it at the top of the stack. The wrapping method works for any size pieces of fabric. If you have small pieces like fat quarters, use a smaller ruler.
I've done the same thing using two magazines, but mirish has a good idea
for bigger pieces, using two rulers!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Joanie2, what a wonderful idea to make your own kits! I like to buy kits, but I used to buy more yardage. I need to make up some kits like that. I just love to pull out a kit and have everything there that I need for a quilt.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
First, I ran out of room in my quilting room, so I have my fabric stored in another room..5 Ikea Billy bookcases with double doors. It's all ruler folded and sorted by color...very neat and clean.
When I"m auditioning for a quilt, I"ll bring in several fabrics at a time and I keep them neatly stacked off on a side table in my quilting room...not sorted by color but kept neatly folded. After that side table begins to groan with the weight of the auditioning fabric, I have a rolling audio visual cart I bought years ago. I bring it in and load it up sorting by color, as I go and then roll it into the next room to refile the fabric. And then, I do it all over again.
Your filing sounds great (we need pictures!). I love the Billy bookcases - they are such a nice size. Even the single width with one door holds so much. I like the glass doors that you can place a length of fabric or paper inside to go with your décor. Easily changed too.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
Me too; I'm TERRIBLE with the housekeeping and tidying. Guess that gene didn't stick with me.
My sisters and I just look at dad's creative spaces and point out that we didn't fall far from the tree.