Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A call to all quilters! >

A call to all quilters!

A call to all quilters!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanks to all who have continued to contribute and stick up for the work that I'm attempting! I really appreciate it. To be clear, this is a paper on a topic that I chose to pursue, for a class that I have a genuine interest in. I am only very recently acquainted with quilting, and @Daylesewblessed I understand what you're saying about the importance of an actual experience in the intimacy of quilting and communing with other quilters, but what I am seeking is to get a better understanding of the marriage of digital technology to the quilting world, and hear stories of camaraderie and creativity fostered through online spaces such as this. Most research is done because one realizes how little one knows about something, then seeks to learn more. It would be asking a lot for me to have figured out everything I need to know about the in's and out's of quilting in all of its nuances by the end of a semester-long course, but it has sparked an interest in me. It seems that many people are taken aback by the course title - which I had no control over. I have been asked to focus on what interests me and hope to hear from real people who are willing to share with me as primary sources - not subjects. @Nanny's Dollface, this is only to be read by my professor. This is for a women's studies course, and the paper is much less interested in empirical data than simply providing a little taste of different people's experiences with engaging in online spaces for quilters. Anyone who chooses with their free will to answer any of my interview questions (as this is more of a mass interview than a survey - much more individualized in responses) does so only to further my knowledge and that of my professor. There is no hypothesis, because as aforementioned, this research assignment is really just to gain insight to this use of technology for quilters. I'm not running any tests, and there's no control group. This is an interview. I respect your concerns, and I assure you that I am only using responses of those who choose to participate. Emphasis on choice. Also, if anyone feels uncomfortable responding in the thread, please feel free to message me personally.

Last edited by Bernina94; 05-09-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM

It doesn't matter where I live but you can see that already. I've been quilting for over 20 years and joined this online group to learn more from people who are also learning and enjoying all the aspects of quilting. Am I tech savvy? Not so much but I get by. What do I get out of this technology/quilting marriage? Lots of things: inspiration, new ways to do the same things I already learned, how to actually figure out the nuts and bolts of some quilting, good company and some laughs along the way. I love this board! I don't get much time to quilt as I am still in the working world for the local school district which keeps me too busy. I can't wait to retire and have time to quilt more! It's not in your format, and didn't answer all your questions but it is what I'm willing to share.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 PM

Southern California, suburb
35, female, RVT, married
Started at age 14 but have been continually quilting for about 11 years straight
How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources?7years And why did you first join? to learn new things and have access to an abundance of people with man experiences who could answer questions
What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large? just online forums
Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?Yes and No Yes there are classes but i find they are set up for older retired people with free time during the day which for a full time working mom leaves little to no time to take them and is one of my pet peeves
What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum? More connection to other quilters who live across all parts of the country who you would not normally ever meet but hold a great deal of talent, knowledge and encouragement
Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?
Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? A little but not really as most of my social media sites have an abudndance of quilting/sewing related forums and I spend more time there than actually paying attention to family and friends. To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy? I have always been on computers since I was in grade school so I am pretty good with technology, however just barely got a smartphone
How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week? There is no set time, sometimes I won't work on anything for months and sometimes I will work several days a week on one project when I get home from work so I would say my working schedule can be sporadic at times
What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources? I don't mind anything computer related have several PDF patterns as well as books
Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 PM

Add me to the list of skeptics. Classwork should be done at this point with final exams just around the corner. There are a few other red flags that make me think this is a phishing expedition.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 AM
Administrator

could be phishy ... could be legit.
all i know is she didn't get permission to do this.