Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with you used rotary cutting blades >

What do you do with you used rotary cutting blades

What do you do with you used rotary cutting blades

Old 06-12-2016, 11:14 AM

Default What do you do with you used rotary cutting blades

You can keep them in the original plastic container and send them to the following: I don't like mine to end up in the garbage dump, so I recycle them.

send your old used blades to them .....
http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html

The blades I purchase are the Olfa blades.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM

I have a metal can with a lid. I put all worn out blades, pins, needles, anything sharp in it. When it gets full I will look for some place to dispose of it carefully. Have had it several years, still not half full. It may still not be full when I am gone..... who ever gets my sewing machines can deal with it than. LOL
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Large plastic pill bottles are a good size for 45 mm blades.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:36 AM

D.rickman, how are the sharpened blades working out? Curious whether they hold their sharpened edge as well as a new blade.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:44 AM

I resharpen mine as long as possible, then in to the garbage they go, contained or wrapped protectively.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I have a plastic blade container labeled used blades. It will hold about 12 blades. I haven't filled it up in over 5 years! My blades last a long time unless I nick them. I sharpen a sharp blade so it never gets dull. I use this sharpener after about ten cuts with the blade. Only takes few swipes to keep a sharp blade sharp.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYqlLLtYOk

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-12-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:17 PM

One by One thanks for the video link. I will try this sharpener.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:23 PM

I put mine in a empty container marked "used" and use those blades to cut paper until they don't even cut that anymore. At that point, I put them in my Sharps container. It hasn't gotten anywhere close to full yet (with combo of medical needles, sewing needles & rotary blades), but when it is, I can ship it to a special company that will safely dispose of them. I'm not super worried about rotary blades going into the landfill; my main concern is the safety of the trash collectors (I think they're called something like environmental services workers these days) who have been known to be injured by needles or blades because they snap in half during the compactor process & can go flying out and into the workers, causing serious injury and high risk of infection. I guess we all have our different causes.

The cost of the trade-in program is the same as buying brand new packaged Olfa blades from Wal-Mart. If the blades in the linked program are actually new, as in "just off the floor of the manufacturing plant", I'd be willing to switch to them & pay the small premium to be environmentally-friendly. If, on the other hand, they are new, as in "new to you", I'd prefer to keep buying blades that are actually new as they tend to be safer to use.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:48 PM

I put them back in the plastic container that they come in, more fit in than the original 5, then I put masking tape all around the package and turn it in at my Dr's office in their sharps container.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 PM

I collect them in the container they came in and then toss it in the trash when it's full. They're not contaminated and can be tossed just like an old fashioned razor blade or a tin can lid.