Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Everything But the Kitchen Sink..... >

Everything But the Kitchen Sink.....

Everything But the Kitchen Sink.....

Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM

This is great. I absolutely love scrappy quilts and have been wanting to make one myself.

Problem is, when I got out the fabric, I only sat thinking about it and colour placement for too long instead of getting on with it... put the fabric back and got on with something else.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mimee4
What fun. Great job.
Thank you, mimee! :wink: :lol:
Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I love how you planned all of the piece to make little pinwheels!!! Awesome!!! :D :D :D
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Damkina
This is great. I absolutely love scrappy quilts and have been wanting to make one myself.

Problem is, when I got out the fabric, I only sat thinking about it and colour placement for too long instead of getting on with it... put the fabric back and got on with something else.
Thank you, Damkina! Scrappy quilts are wonderful, lots of fun too! The best way to overcome your color planning is don't plan your colors; just let it happen. Begin by sorting your scraps into two bags; one for the darks only and one for the lights only. Start there with just darks and lites. Use your darks and lites as leaders/enders and b4 you know it, you'll have all your dk/lts paired up for a 4-patch or 9-patch project! Then with more practice, you'll be introducing your medium fabrics in; then your med/dk fabs; then your med/lt fabs in. After you've done those, you'll be throwing in your lg. scale with med. scale and mini scale altogether! That's what makes a scrappy quilt successful. You need contrast of dks and lts, but you also need a blend of different size scale prints in there also. It adds lots of interest. You will love putting scraps together after you get the hang of it. After awhile, you'll see that "everything goes together anyway" and you won't even think about color~! Hope this helps you out the next time you go for a scrap project as well as those who are reading along right now feeing just like you about a scrap quilt. Here's to your success and happy scrap quilting!! :wink: :lol: :wink:
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I love how you planned all of the piece to make little pinwheels!!! Awesome!!! :D :D :D
I had to go back and look at my quilt! That's pretty neat - the little pinwheels! I was so turned around making this! I didn't have any pattern and started in the middle of the quilt first w/o any preplanning. Wanted more contrast and didn't mean to put so many lt. fabs in like I did. The next one will be much better, but this one didn't turn out so bad. Have another pattern in mind with the same concept that I can't wait to do. I've never seen one like it before so you'll love this next one. Will make sure I include the pattern for everyone or let you know my technique. Thanks, amma! Sure appreciate those nice words!!! :lol: :lol: :wink: