Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Apple TV or some other device >

Apple TV or some other device

Apple TV or some other device

Old 07-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Apple TV or some other device

Anyone have Apple TV hooked up to the television? Or some other device that is like it, NOT a laptop or smart phone or tablet hooked up.

Reason I am asking is my husband would like to watch some how to videos from You Tube in the living room. As of now we can hook up the lap top to our tv, but he hates using it.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:47 PM

We had a Roku box and really liked it. We unhooked it when we got our smart tv. Now we have a chromecast so that I can cast video from my phone or pc (wirelessly). Roku is fairly cheap, I think. Apple tv is probably the most expensive of the tv devices. I've never had it so I can't comment on it.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

We have a Roku 3 that we really like.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:51 AM

If it is in your budget, you could buy a smart tv. Ours has several apps such as YouTube built in. We got ours free with our visa rewards points.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I went to Best Buy to check out Apple TV but was very disappointed that the guy couldn't answer any of my questions. I am about ready to cut the cable, maybe after the Summer Olympics are over. I find myself watching most of my TV viewing under on Demand.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:14 AM

Here's a link to a CNet review on the different streaming devices. We have Roku and like it. One son has Apple TV and another has a chromecast stick. Different strokes for different folks!
http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-...hould-you-buy/
Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I went to Best Buy to check out Apple TV but was very disappointed that the guy couldn't answer any of my questions. I am about ready to cut the cable, maybe after the Summer Olympics are over. I find myself watching most of my TV viewing under on Demand.
Call Apple to get your questions answered about Apple TV. I cut the cable about 3 years ago and have not looked back. The only thing I pay for is $14.99 a month for Internet. I have the slowest speed offered by my cable company and have no problem streaming anything. I have two TV's - one is a smart tv. I use Netflix all the time. I also have an adapter to hook my iPad up to any tv. I use app's on the iPad to watch tv programs through network apps.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:04 AM

We use a couple of wii's, one in bedroom, one in living room, to watch YouTube and Netflix. Wii's are dirt cheap now and they work just fine as long as you have Internet.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:13 AM

I tried Apple TV a couple of years ago and never could get the thing to work. I paid $35 for Chromecast and it works great on my Mac. You will just need to load Chromecast onto your Mac. We, too, are cable and satellite free. We use Netflix and Amazon Prime. Chromecast will also cast Youtube and my IHeart radio from my iPhone through the TV. All we need is the internet connection.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the help, Ladies. Another question:

News channels? such as Fox News, The Blaze and NewsMax? Do they broadcast like on satellite or on cable?