Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
military uniforms >

military uniforms

military uniforms

Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Default military uniforms

I have been Googling for a long time and can not find a definitive answer to this question.
Can military uniforms be cut up and used in a quilt? Can insignias be incorporated in a quilt?
Thank you for any help on this question.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Yes, just about anything can be made into a quilt if you are willing to work with it.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 AM

There is nothing sacrosanct about the uniforms unlike the American flag itself. As a veteran, i'd suggest that medals, and combat ribbons would only be appropriate in a wall quilt honoring the person's service but that the insignia of rank and time served could be used in a more general quilt.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

When my Dad came back from WWII, he didn't want to see his uniform again. His mother's sister (who taught me how to quilt) cut it up and used it in a braided rug that I believe is still in the small living room (since the farm probably is being farmed by their grandchildren).
Old 07-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Yes, I have 2 quilt buddies that made quilts from grandson and son's uni's--both said it was a chore--they ripped out the seams (which are sewn in a way that never come apart!), cut and then piece and they did incorporate some insigna--both were for wall hangings. One said that the fabric for the uni's is very "durable" and little harder to cut. But both made some awesome quilts.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
There is nothing sacrosanct about the uniforms unlike the American flag itself. As a veteran, i'd suggest that medals, and combat ribbons would only be appropriate in a wall quilt honoring the person's service but that the insignia of rank and time served could be used in a more general quilt.
I'm also a veteran and I agree with this. Don't include the actual medals and ribbons, but you could easily make fabric copies of the ribbons. I wouldn't cut up the uniforms without the permission of the vet who wore them, and, I also wonder why you want to do this. If you're talking about the dress uniforms (anything other than cammies,) the fabric is awful -- polyester or wool poly blends. I guess I could see using the cammies, but, again, only with the vet's permission.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:31 AM

My friend made a T-shirt quilt with all her husband's shirts from different units, bases, etc. and did wide sashing with his cammies. It is really awesome. We are now doing a quilt for his retirement, and have machine embroidered "split" stars with the 6 base names where he was stationed along with star blocks made by friends with a cohesive background fabric. It is looking really great! I think she is planning a second quilt (more for a wall hanging) with the Pledge of Allegiance, an Airforce ensignia, a "subway art" type square with lots of great captions, and one with his unit's logo. I think it is great to honor our service men and women, but agree, only cut if you have permission.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:57 AM

My husband was in the Navy (1962-1964) and we have one dress uniform left. My plan is to make teddy bears out of them for the Grandkids. I guess you call them memory bears.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:34 AM

When my first three children were little, I made each of them an outfit out of my husband's dress blues. Little sailor outfits, dresses for the girls and a shirt & pants for my son. They looked really nice. Had the kids pictures taken in them. My DH was very happy to see them used.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:40 AM

I used my grandsons BDU's & made his first child a diaper bag. It was his way of telling me I was going to be a great grandmother. He asked me if I could make him a diaper bag from his uniform, I asked him if he was reverting to his childhood & he told me they were expecting their first baby. He sent me uniforms I used the backs of the shirts and the legs of the pants, also used his name tag & insignias. I loved the results and so did he.