Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM

rachel you could also put the smaller pieces in a pillowcase and tie it up for washing them.

elle absolutely beautiful
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 PM

Oh Patti what a drag to HAVE to go shopping :XD: good luck

Luv, thank you, got a long ways to go thougH.

Lesley, however you managed to do this quilt in this time span I donīt know, I am in awe of you.

Elle
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Oh Patti what a drag to HAVE to go shopping :XD: good luck

Luv, thank you, got a long ways to go thougH.

Lesley, however you managed to do this quilt in this time span I donīt know, I am in awe of you.

Elle
LOL, Elle, it was easy - I just did nothing else! I have a garden that's a mess, and the house isn't much better at the moment, though its a relief not to have tiny bits of paper/fabric all over the place. I really need to tidy up, but I reckon I can do that once it is backed, and all I need to do is stitch in the ditch round all my blocks. I got the first border on yesterday, and it seemed to go on well, but I'm not saying it was a success until I get the next one on, with a corner in place, as I'm winging this part because of the way I made everything. I made all the triangles the size of the ruler, and that was before I decided to put in 3/4in sashing, so I had to make the plain tris bigger. The software won't adjust for different sized tris (alternating), so I cut out paper shapes and stuck them together and so far, it seems to have worked. I'm just not sure if I will need to adjust a little bit when the first corner goes on.

Patti, you don't actually need to have a separate fabric for cornerstones, Jane didn't, did she? But don't let me stop you from going shopping!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by luvmortherest
rachel you could also put the smaller pieces in a pillowcase and tie it up for washing them.

elle absolutely beautiful
Ooooh good idea!!!! I was just thinking about how I could do it since I forgot to buy a bag when I was at the grocery store!! Thanks for the great idea. Off to wash!! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

A couple of thoughts and observations I have been meaning to mention. For those of you who are intending to make your outer tris in the same fabric as your backgrounds, you might want to consider slightly altering some of your pieced tris. For instance, I didn't do that for RS11, as it hadn't occurred to me, so I dutifully sewed on the very narrow strips of background along each long edge. When I realised how sillly this was, considering that narrow strip was going to all but disappear against my plain tris, I stopped doing it. So with BR2, I just extended the central areas of tri to make the tri big enough to trim down with the ruler, without adding on the narrow border. The same went for RS1, again I extended all the coloured and background sections and avoided the narrow outer strips. There may have been one or two others too, but these are the ones I can remember offhand.

My other observation, now that I have assembled my borders, (I only have one on, so far,) is for those of you intending to QAYG. When you choose a quilting design for the outer, plain tris, make sure that it leaves you a half inch unquilted on both long sides of the tri. It will make it much easier to assemble the border, and you will be able to quilt right to the edge of the pieced tris this way.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
My other observation, now that I have assembled my borders, (I only have one on, so far,) is for those of you intending to QAYG. When you choose a quilting design for the outer, plain tris, make sure that it leaves you a half inch unquilted on both long sides of the tri. It will make it much easier to assemble the border, and you will be able to quilt right to the edge of the pieced tris this way.
Can you show us how you are assembling your tris as QAYG? I was thinking tht that may be alittle harder than the blocks themselves ....

Rachel
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Can you show us how you are assembling your tris as QAYG? I was thinking tht that may be alittle harder than the blocks themselves ....

Rachel
Hmm, bear with me while I go take some pics. Be back soon.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Ok, here is how I have been assembling one of the borders. From my point of view, having done QAYG, I didn't have any sashing that I could get rid of the bulk of my W&N batting, as each tri is stitched to the next.

As I said above, I quilted the plain tris with about a half inch unquilted on each long side, that gave me room to manoevre when sewing them to the patched ones. It meant always sewing with the plain tri nearest to me so that I could see to line them up, and because of that I had to keep turning the border back and forth, but it worked out very well.

The border, as assembled. Pieced tri in the middle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86975[/ATTACH]

Fold tris along seam line with plain one on top, and trim close to stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86976[/ATTACH]

Trim batting on back (pieced) tri about a quarter inch away from edge of fabric allowance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86977[/ATTACH]

Open out the border, and fold wider batting over seam allowance, to cover edge of other batting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86978[/ATTACH]

Hand stitch one on top of the other
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86979[/ATTACH]

The back will look like this. It looks bulkier than it feels to me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86980[/ATTACH]

This is my first border sewn on (but not quilted in the sashing yet)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86983[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86970.jpe   attachment-86971.jpe   attachment-86972.jpe   attachment-86973.jpe   attachment-86974.jpe  

attachment-86975.jpe   attachment-86978.jpe  
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Thank you for taking pics Lesley. I’ll have to think about how I can adapt that to work with a QAYG that has the backing already attached ….

Rachel
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Oh my goodness Lesley that does look good. You are making a grand job there. Well done and thanks for the Tute.

Elle