Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Settings on Machines >

Settings on Machines

Settings on Machines

Old 08-02-2016, 04:28 AM

Default Settings on Machines

I just saw a post where a tension setting of 1 - 3 was recommended and got to wondering if the settings on domestic machines are standardized. Is tension of 1-3 on one machine the same as tension 1-3 on another machine Is stitch length of say 3 the same length on all machines? Not an earth-stopping question - just curious. Thanks, fellow quilters.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

No, mine is set between 4 to 6 depending on the type of thread I am using. I have a Bernina 1530.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 AM

All of my vintage machines are actually set at 3, when I was introduced to sewing machines both at home and at school I was told by my mother and teacher not to change that so I didn't. That being said there were not the different weights of thread then as there are now. Even now I can't say I make changes to the settings on most of my machines, the computerized one's came with a setting of 4 that's where I leave it unless my thread weight changes dramatically.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:53 AM

Sailorwoman the answer to your question is NO. As with everything else this is subject to each manufacturer. Just like with rulers. An inch on one ruler may be off a bit from a different brand of ruler. Just like in clothing, one designer's size 16 will not be the same as another designer.
Now, is it alright for you to change this setting? Yes! Remember, YOU purchased the machine. The manufacturer is not paying you to have that machine. Plus there is not one word in your warranty that says you cannot change any settings on that machine. If there is, you need a different machine.
I even change my bobbin tension (OMG THE BOBBIN?) if I wish to run a heavier or thinner thread in the bobbin. Once again, DOES NOT AFFECT THE WARRANTY! Also, that machine belongs to you, you paid for it.
If EVER you have a tech that says changing these things will affect the warranty, challenge that person. Ask them to SHOW YOU where that is stated! Once again, if it is, get a different machine. (Not that I've had this happen to me hehe)
As to where do I set my upper tension, what ever works best at that moment. On days that are dry and little humidity, I have to set the tension a bit higher. On humid days, just the opposite. There really is not a one size fits all tension setting. Too many variables in the equation.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I change tension on the top and bobbin when I change thread. The type, weight, and ply of the thread makes a difference in tension to get a balanced stitch. All machines are set to use poly thread at the factory. Notice the thread type used at the dealers on the set up machines. One dealer refused to put Aurifil thread in a machine I was interested in unless I bought the spool and machine. She would have had to get the tech to set the tension differently. ? I bought elsewhere.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:53 AM

if you ever take apart a tension, you'll discover that you can move things around so the "numbers" are lined up differently.

They really mean nothing. You'd have to do a pull test to see if a setting of 4 on one machine compares to a setting of 4 on another.

My Juki does well with 2- but it only has 0-4. My Viking does well around 4, but it has 0-7. My HQ LA does not even have numbers, but the digital pressure gauge I installed has settings from 0 to . . . I'm not sure, I 've never gone over 800. Some thread works best in the 450-500 range and some best in closer to 700. And I've found moving just 15 points can make enough of a difference.

Come to think of it, very few of my older (75+ years) machines even have numbers for tension. I prefer numbers just so I know if I'm turning it the right way. I know "lefty loosey, righty tighty" but I still get confused as to which way is right and which way is left. So I need the numbers to take the "left/right" out of the equation.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
Sailorwoman the answer to your question is NO. As with everything else this is subject to each manufacturer. Just like with rulers. An inch on one ruler may be off a bit from a different brand of ruler. Just like in clothing, one designer's size 16 will not be the same as another designer.
Now, is it alright for you to change this setting? Yes! Remember, YOU purchased the machine. The manufacturer is not paying you to have that machine. Plus there is not one word in your warranty that says you cannot change any settings on that machine. If there is, you need a different machine.
I even change my bobbin tension (OMG THE BOBBIN?) if I wish to run a heavier or thinner thread in the bobbin. Once again, DOES NOT AFFECT THE WARRANTY! Also, that machine belongs to you, you paid for it.
If EVER you have a tech that says changing these things will affect the warranty, challenge that person. Ask them to SHOW YOU where that is stated! Once again, if it is, get a different machine. (Not that I've had this happen to me hehe)
As to where do I set my upper tension, what ever works best at that moment. On days that are dry and little humidity, I have to set the tension a bit higher. On humid days, just the opposite. There really is not a one size fits all tension setting. Too many variables in the equation.
I totally agree with all of this. I have always manipulated tensions to fit the threads I'm using and fabrics I'm sewing on. On my Bernina's the top tension seems to be pre-set kind of tight. I often have to loosen it when using specialty threads. I also bought an extra bobbin casing so I have one that is set for regular sewing and one that I use with thicker of thinner threads or whenever I need to adjust the tension. Just remember on bobbin tension that you don't have to turn the screw very far. I just push on the screw driver until I feel it move and then try it again. Despite what your mother said, its okay to adjust the tension on your machine.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 AM

There are lots of variables that decide this. You can have two machines that are the same but if the tension is off a little the settings may need to be set differently to get the same results. I'm really lucky, I have the viking diamond deluxe emb, a brother emb, a babylock serger and on all of them the tension is self adjusting. I never have to change it. I've had my diamond for about 4 yrs so that's a lot less stress on me not having to worry about this one thing.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 PM

NEVER !!! Each machine is different, and every thread you put through it needs it's own adjustment to make the perfect stitch. Your thickness of batting, and even the speed you sew at will make your "perfect" tension different on any machine. That being said...when you get to know youe machine, there is a range...where you know you can start from...but no...no perfect number...sorry!