Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! what machine settings do I set to FMQ >

Help! what machine settings do I set to FMQ

Help! what machine settings do I set to FMQ

Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM

Help to anyone who can tell me what settings I should use for my Janome sewing machine if I want to FMQ. I had a go on the weekend and what a mess the underneath was. I would like to have a play but I don't know how to set up the machine. If someone could give me a hand I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM

i don't have one of those but i know you have to turn the feed dogs off. i found the directions in my sewing machine book under darning. other than that just use a normal stitch.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I did lower the feed dogs but it didn't seem to help. I had more success with them up?? The bottom layer seemed to be all loopy etc. There must be a way to stop it but I am not sure how to. I will get out my book and see if they have any information in it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:34 PM

definitely see the book. set the stitch length to zero (some models), lower the pressure foot pressure to the lowest setting (some models). With my Viking, I have to select a certain stitch from the computer cards
Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 PM

it sounds like your top tension is too loose. try adjusting your tension.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 PM

I hope that you have a darning foot also. I have a janome and have to have the foot on the loosest setting. if you are having really really loopy threads on the back that is probably a tension problem. might want to tinker with that a bit. hope this helps. And make sure those feed dogs are down. they can be a pain sometimes.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Ok, Janomes are great for FMQ. Sounds like the top tension is too loose. I used to set my 6500 to 5 or 6 (normal was 3). Also, the feed dogs should be down and it doesn't matter what stitch length you set because the length is controlled by you and how fast you are moving your quilt. I always - and I have been doing FMQ for several years - have a practice quilt sandwhich available and use it instead of my quilt until I get any issues resolved. It is also good to help get into a rhythm. Are you tensed up while trying to quilt? Try taking a deep breath and move your quilt very slowly with your machine set very slow. When you get relaxed, you can speed up with your movement as well as the machine speed. It is definitely something that gets easier with practice. Most important, don't give up! You couldn't ride a bicycle the first time you tried I bet!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:14 PM

It does sound like a tension problem..top thread. And, a previous posted mentioned..you need a darning foot.

Also, maybe if you post what exact machine you have there may be someone with the same machine that can be more specific with settings.

I've quilted on my old Janome without any problems and on my Horizon I had good results after adjusting the height of the FMQ foot
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

i don't even bother the stitch length anymore. your speed of moving the quilt determines the stitch length. i took a class after doing FMQ for some time and the instructor said not to lower the feed dogs. we didn't. but i've put them down mostly since. depends on the fabric, batting, etc as to whether you encounter a problem or not.
just drop the feed dogs , foot/needle lever down and put on a darning foot with a spring on the shaft and quilt away. steady fast foot pedal speed and steady slower movement of your quilt.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks very much for all your help. I have a play and let you know how I go!
Cheers