Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600? >

Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600?

Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I bought a 6600 when I was living away from home for three years caring for my FIL. wonderful machine. I sold it this spring for $600 which included everything including a ton of feet.

My only advice would be take it to a Janome dealer for a full service. The tiniest little problems can make a good purchase a bad purchase

I too loved the sound the thread cutter made, it sounds like the start to Pink Floyds song Money
Yes, I almost count on taking a used machine in for service as a matter of course. I hate to be aggravated by touchy tension, etc that sometimes accompanies used machine. A sellers version of working may be a little different than mine. You can tell some of the sellers (ebay or craigslist) have just picked up at some auction for hardly anything, and know nothing about the machine.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM

even if you have to pay for a tune up, i think you got a good deal, this is a good machine.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoyceRowell View Post
I find that brother feet will fit the Janome, as a matter of fact I was told that brother makes the Janome. Good luck with your new machine.
No, Brother doesn't make Janomes. Brother builds Babylock, Designio and Simplicity machines. Janome builds Elna and Necchi machines, and they both build other non top name brands. There is cross over. They both built different models of the Bernina Bernette and Deco machines. I think Janome built a low end Babylock machine a few years ago. But Brother doesn't build Janome branded machines and Janome doesn't build Brother branded machines.

I agree with others that the 6600 was a great deal, my only concern is if the seller packs it well. Fingers crossed.

Cari
Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Default Janome 6600 if it works for not too much money it is worth every penny I love mine. a

1. Love my Janome 6600 it is a workhorse. I bought it from eBay 3 years
    Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I have 20+ sewing machines, and my 6600 is my main, go-to machine, despite my love for all my vintage beauties. I adore that machine, and it's so easy to use that my 9-year old niece has also fallen in love with it and has informed me that when I die it belongs to her. She told me that the noise the scissor-cut button makes is the "happiest sound in the world" - I think I agree!
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think one of my favorite things about the machine is the Accufeed. Invest in some Accufeed feet for it, you will not regret it! The big harp sure is handy too.

I also recommend buying some Janome-brand bobbins. My machine is not picky about fabric or thread or anything else, but it's VERY picky about the bobbins. I can't see any difference between knock-offs and the name brand bobbins, but I get occasional tangles and skipped stitches if I use knock off bobbins and perfect stitches if I use name-brand.

All in all I don't think you'll regret it at all, and you got it for a great price! I paid a LOT more for mine and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if mine were stolen or somehow damaged beyond repair.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:50 PM

The reason knock off bobbins cause problems is that the machine is designed for the bobbin to "float". Knock offs can be a mm off and that causes problems. Stick with authentic Janome bobbins.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:45 PM

You can use all 7mm feet from other Janomes. But invest in the accufeed quilting feet. Worth it.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

All my Brother snap on feet interchange with my Janome.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:30 AM

Foot pedal is specific to 6600...not generic...and not cheap...I had to replace my foot pedal...no longer have machine but love it and miss it.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I just won a bid on EBay for a Janome 6600 sewing machine ...........
Mac .... Hope that once it arrives on your doorstep, you will let us all know that you have it, along with and the rest of the story!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 AM

The original listing is gone from eBay, but I have to wonder how does the seller know it works if they do not have a power cord for it?