PE770 help!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 AM

Unhappy PE770 help!

I was hoping someone has experience with the brother PE770. I got it last Sunday and have been able to only do 1 test stitch. My bobbin thread is coming to the top of the needle plate but the upper thread is not catching it so the machine stitches with upper thread only for a minute and then shreds that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent days trying to fix the problem. I changed needles, thread, stabilizer. Yesterday something clicked and it did one test stitch. This morning I went to put thread in for a new design and nothing will stitch again I only got this machine as a back up because my big girl ( bernina 580) is in the shop. I just wanna cry.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:45 AM

I have no clue about the machine but I'll off this....I'm sure you've already tried re-threading the machine 100 times but perhaps another time might help? Does this machine require-machine specific bobbins and you're using those if so? Bobbin is threaded correctly in the machine?

Does the owner's manual offer any suggestions? Have you called the shop where you purchased it to see if they can give you any direction?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:56 AM

Thanks NJ Quilter. I actually ordered it on Amazon( big mistake). I have threaded and rethreaded. I know it is a bobbin issue I just cannot figure it out. It does have bobbin specific bobbins and I am using them. Now when it tries to pick up the bobbin thread there is a tangle that forms underneath
Old 08-21-2016, 09:00 AM

make sure the needle is inserted correctly.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 AM

Are you leaving a long bobbin tail and pulling that up with the threaded needle before stitching? And holding on to your tails when beginning to stitch? I know that is very 'old school' and most modern machines claim this is unnecessary but perhaps it is for yours?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:07 AM

Another guess, are you sure the bobbin is spinning the right direction? Do you have a Brother dealer in your area? They should be happy to help you. A friend of mine went into one said she was having trouble and they helped her.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used my PE770 in ages (too much going on!), but these Youtube videos helped me a lot after I unpacked my machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHN...vFO4MP&index=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjgF...vFO4MP&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2TE...vFO4MP&index=3

I purchased my machine from Amazon also. If the above doesn't help you, you can return the machine to Amazon as long as you are within the return period (which I think is 30 days from date you receive the shipment). Assuming Amazon was the seller, they will pay for return shipping if the item is defective and give you the choice of a replacement or refund. Very easy to do. Go to "your account" at Amazon, look at your recent orders to find the machine, then click on "return" and it will walk you through your options.

However, these machines have been out awhile and are pretty reliable out of the box. My bet is that you are missing some key points about the threading.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

If it is under warranty, call the manufacturer. If you bought it used, you probably have to take it in for serving.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:29 AM

I'm with Prism..something isn't threaded correctly. Is your thread coming off the bobbin in the right ire cation...are you going thru all the threading points on top, with the foot raised? It still holds true that problem on top site means fix the bobbin site. And also, put your thread on a holder or in a jar- away from the machine. Are you using a brand of thread that Brother doesn't like? You might have a bad needle with a burr in the hole...is the flat side to the back & threaded from the front? Don't panic, take your time to follow directions exactly. I'm using 4 machines and they each have their quirks. Let us know if you get it figured out.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:25 PM

kimkankwilt- I had the needle fall out twice but am pretty sure I got in now.

NJQuilter - I will try that. When I hand crank it I can't get the thread to the top. Something is off

quilting candy- Did your friend buy her machine from the place she went to?

Prism-Thanks for the links I watches some of Vincent's videos but will watch these as well.

Mermaid - This is my second and you are prob right I have to learn its quirks.

Thank you for all the help. I have the same feeling something is not threaded right. I am using the correct bobbin and it is spinning counter clockwise. I will try again tomorrow.I am sick today but will be trying all of this tomorrow.