Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the difference between Janome 8900QCP "Special Edition" and 8900QCP? >

What's the difference between Janome 8900QCP "Special Edition" and 8900QCP?

What's the difference between Janome 8900QCP "Special Edition" and 8900QCP?

Old 08-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Default What's the difference between Janome 8900QCP "Special Edition" and 8900QCP?

Hi,
I'm a new member (joined yesterday) who just realized how much fun it is to quilt two months ago I have a Janome New Home NH60 and I'm thinking of upgrading it to Janome 8900QCP. While doing some research online I found there are two kinds: 8900QCP "Special Edition", and regular 8900QCP (without the "Special Edition"). From Janome website it looks like the SE version is a newer model that replaces the other one but it didn't say if there is any other differences between the two machines. Does anyone know? I also found the SE costs roughly $200 to $500 more.
Thanks in advance!
Alice
Old 08-25-2016, 06:01 PM

I do not have an answer for you but just wanted to welcome you to the board!!! Someone will chime in with an answer i am sure.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 PM

The SE has a couple of different features. There is a Yahoo group for the 7700/8900/9400 and if you ask there someone will tell you the differences. (There was a discussion about this a little while ago, but I don't remember, sorry.)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Nothing official here, but my understanding was that they both do the same things, just that the SE is dressed differently .... such as different paint colour or extra bling and such. So totally cosmetic, not functional.

Best to check with a dealer for the correct info.
Or go to the Janome site and compare the specs of each model.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:38 AM
mkc

The light blue SE has the quick-set bobbin needle plate, 3 hole/position straight-stitch needle plate which makes 1/4" piecing easier, a new buttonhole foot, and I think a different spool holder.

The new straight-stitch plate is NOT backwards-compatible with the older 8900.

My Elna has the same needle plates and piecing stitches and I LOVE it for piecing.

(note - early on there was a red-faced 8900 that was either called a Special Edition or a Limited Edition. That's the one that's just cosmetically different from the standard 8900. The light blue one is an improved version)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't know but understand your confusion. Have you gone in a test drove this machine?? Be sure that this is the one that is going to last you a while. You need to go to a quilt show to get the best deals and be able to test drive the variety of machines that are out there just like you would test drive a new car. Good luck in the selection process and welcome to the Board.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your welcome note and useful information! I will definitely take your advice to talk to the dealer and test try the machine this weekend. Will look into any quilt show near my area too. I'll update you my findings next week. You guys made a newbie feel a lot better now Thanks again!
Alice
Old 08-26-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
The light blue SE has the quick-set bobbin needle plate, 3 hole/position straight-stitch needle plate which makes 1/4" piecing easier, a new buttonhole foot, and I think a different spool holder.

The new straight-stitch plate is NOT backwards-compatible with the older 8900.

My Elna has the same needle plates and piecing stitches and I LOVE it for piecing.

(note - early on there was a red-faced 8900 that was either called a Special Edition or a Limited Edition. That's the one that's just cosmetically different from the standard 8900. The light blue one is an improved version)
Good to know this! I used my current machine and my seam is always 1/8" to 1/16" off, haha! Now I know the plate can make a difference! Of course my 1/4 foot wobbles so that might be the reason too, that's why I'm thinking of upgrading it.
I compared the manuals and it looks like the regular one has the 2-hole straight stitch plate while the SE model has the 3-hole one. Sorry a stupid question: when you say "3 hole straight stitch plate" makes piecing easier, do you mean just the "straight stitch" plate is important or it has to be the 3-hole straight stitch plate? (Obviously I don't know their difference,
Thanks,
Alice