Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I crazy? >

Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

Old 09-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It is called skinning a quilt. Do it from the back so any accidents do not damage the top. Sorry your quilter used inferior batt.
My "what did I learn today" moment! Thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 02:53 AM

I made a quilt top several,years ago, sent it to the longarmer and the finished quilt, once I received it, had tension issues. The longarmer suggested a charge of $60 to remove the flawed quilting and requilt, the same amount already paid for quilting. Yes, it was long and tedious, but I pulled out every stitch myself. I also inadvertently created some snags and small tears. Today, the quilt is requilted, those picked places and the tiny tears (I placed fusing between the quilt top and the batting to close the tears, then quilted over the area to secure it) just aren't noticeable if you don't go looking for them. People who have seen this quilt say it is quite striking. Me? I'm so glad it is finally done and moved on to its home.

I suppose the message is to please be more careful than I was when removing stitches. I think you are probably much more experienced in all the steps of the quilting processes than I was when removing those stitches. Good luck, and happy unsewing.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:12 AM

Sorry that you have had this happen.....absolutely make a formal complaint to the woman who quilted it for you. Pick it apart from the back side in sections, that way when a section is completely unpicked you will feel the accomplishment involved.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I found the fastest and easiest way FOR ME was to use a box knife type of blade and, working from the back, pull the backing away from the batting to expose the threads, and just touch the thread. . It goes pretty fast. The down side is you end up with a thousand tiny pieces of thread all over the top. When I find myself using any kind of pressure on the blade to push it through the thread, it's time to use the other end of the blade, or get a new one.
Another way to rip out all that quilting.
I've done this. Having three hands really works well. I put one end under the needle of the sewing machine, in this case it would be the top, lower the needle so it holds onto that fabric, lift the back and slice with a scalpel type seam ripper. Pull gently on the back as you slice down on any threads that are tight. It's surprising that it cuts only the threads and not the fabric.

I did this as a demo at our meeting, and used a clamp to hold the top to the edge of the table. And doing it this way, those thousand threads are longer and are easier to pick up.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:36 AM

All you have to invest is your time. I'd take it out, too, if I could find a way that wouldn't drive me crazy. So sorry this happened to you. Did the long armer apologize or offer to make it good?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by susananne View Post
If you don't do it you will always wish you had. Go for it!
I totally agree with susananne. You will always regret not taking it apart. You have nothing to lose except all the time it is going to take. Watching brainless TV should help with the tedious task ahead.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:17 AM

I think I agree, I would pick it out.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 AM

Oh!!! I am so sorry. So much work goes into the piecing. I would definitely take it apart and redo. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I agree with everyone else. But you absolutely NEED to show the longarmer before you skin it so she knows there is a problem with the batting she is using. How can she (or he) fix the problem if they don't know it exists? You may be pleasantly surprised and the longarmer may just offer to requilt it at no charge in order to have a happy customer.

Please, let your longarmer know. I know I would want to know if a client was unhappy with my quilting, ANY aspect of it. Additionally if I had a batting that did not perform after washing I would most definitely not want to use it in any more quilts and may just go back to the manufacturer.

Did the batting also beard? This is a common problem in wool battings, especially ones that don't have a scrim or haven't been treated to be washable.
I agree. Go to the longarmer first and show her what happened. You may both benefit from the learning process. Regardless of the longarmer's response (hopefully good), definitely worth skinning the quilt and getting it requilted properly. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Default You go girl!

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I agree. Go to the longarmer first and show her what happened. You may both benefit from the learning process. Regardless of the longarmer's response (hopefully good), definitely worth skinning the quilt and getting it requilted properly. Good luck.
Been there done that! Just keep saying to yourself "I will love this when it's done". It's worth every minute that you spend taking out the quilting, especially since your top is something you a happy with. Only caution would be to take your time so that you don't cut the top. I on the other hand tried to hurry and nipped the top twice. So slow down and take your time. Good luck!